Tri-Glide Windshield height question

Jul 24, 2011
Shirley, Indiana
I recently purchased a 2011 Tri-Glide. After quite a bit of riding, it is apparent that my line-of-sight is directly at the top of the windshield. My question is, should the windshield be above or below your line-of-sight? I am thinking I need one either taller or shorter, but being a newbie, I wanted the opinion of more experenced riders.

Thanks!

I have tried 8, 10, 12 & 15 inch shields both with upper recurve and straight, both clear as well as light smoke. In fact I have a box full of them in my garage, all slightly used of course but if anyone is interested. :)

I liked the light smoked however I couldn't read street names from far enough away to be comfortable. The 8" was too short to suit me. Both the 10 & 12" I was bothered by the top of the shield being intermittently in my line of sight.

The last shield I bought and have used for the past year is a clear 15" F4 Custom. I have no problem looking through it...I really appreciate it in a heavy rain and during our Florida Lovebug seasons. I also wear foam sealing glasses and use a face shield on my Harley half helmet...even with all that I still get sand blasted by trucks and being relegated to the rear during group rides.

I changed to the 10" slightly smoked because first time i got caught in a rain storm i had to stop as i couldn't see.I'm 6' and it's about 1 1/2" below my line of sight so i can see over it in the rain if i sit up straight.I too have a faceshield on my half helmet.

I took off the 'too tall' stock one and put the Harley 4" smoked one on because it looked great. Also funneled all the air flow directly into my eyes. Looked great, I just couldn't see. Replaced it with a smoked 8". I look over the top of it, but it channels the air flow over my head. I'm 5'10" That is a 6" on my wife's trike. She is shorter than me and says the air also flows right over her head.

I recently purchased a 2011 Tri-Glide. After quite a bit of riding, it is apparent that my line-of-sight is directly at the top of the windshield. My question is, should the windshield be above or below your line-of-sight? I am thinking I need one either taller or shorter, but being a newbie, I wanted the opinion of more experenced riders.

Thanks!

I recently purchased a new windshield from eBay. I do not like looking through the shield,(just my preference). I emailed the seller to see how he measured and this is what he sent:

Sit on the bike in your normal riding position, if you are a sloucher like most of us, sit in the position that you ride the most in, place a yard stick, ruler, level etc. under your nose (between your upper lip and the bottom of your nose)and hold it out straight and level with the shield, have someone measure from the center top of the fairing, right where the shield starts out, up the angle of the stock shield to whatever you have held out. 99.9% of the time, this is a perfect height for you or you and a passenger.

I have tried 8, 10, 12 & 15 inch shields both with upper recurve and straight, both clear as well as light smoke. In fact I have a box full of them in my garage, all slightly used of course but if anyone is interested. :)

I liked the light smoked however I couldn't read street names from far enough away to be comfortable. The 8" was too short to suit me. Both the 10 & 12" I was bothered by the top of the shield being intermittently in my line of sight.

The last shield I bought and have used for the past year is a clear 15" F4 Custom. I have no problem looking through it...I really appreciate it in a heavy rain and during our Florida Lovebug seasons. I also wear foam sealing glasses and use a face shield on my Harley half helmet...even with all that I still get sand blasted by trucks and being relegated to the rear during group rides.

I have the F4 15" I use in the winter and bought the F4 8" I use sumertime. I love the F4 because as long as your doing 50mph or better the water beads right off and you can see thu it.ThumbUp

When I bought my 2010 Tri Glide the first thing I did was change the windshield because my windshield line of sight was at eye level. It really bothered me because I wear glasses. I believe my old windshield was 12 inches. My new one I think is 14 and I ride much better. I found the box that the new windshield came in and the part # is 58314-97.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tune man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tune man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png