Really noisy squeeky brakes.

Parking Brake stuff....many of us simply use a bungee-cord, or large rubber band over the front brake lever, or foot brake pedal. This seems rather like a "rigging", but it is simple and really does work. Of course....it's for those times that it is really required, Certainly....nobody would plan to leave one on for weeks at a time. Just pay attention to how you park and those times a brake is needed....this simple solution will work every time.

I was looking for something better then rubber bands, bungee cords or velcro straps. I'm using a velcro strap for the front brakes now, but would like to be able to lock up the rears at the same time. Sept. 7th I'm heading up to Whitehorse YT (Canada) and for me to get there I have to travel 89 miles by water (Ferry) which is about 7 hr. boat ride to Skagway, AK. from here and that water can get pretty rough so am going to need all three wheels lock while on the boat as well as other places, so am looking for a cleaner setup.
Thanks for the help.
Butch

More talk about a line-lock then. The mechanical version can be had rather cheaply, but you have to pick a place to mount it in series with the rear brake line. All you do is apply the rear brake, set the line-lock and it locks both rear calipers (or one if that's all you have on some single disc kits).

A short line from the rear T is ran to the device, then the other side of the device is connected to the master cylinder. Just press the brake pedal, push the lever down on the line-lock. Then, you simply push the lever again to release the line-lock. Just requires a few fittings and maybe new hoses to connect and of course, the rear brakes will have to be re-bled. The only real problem is finding a location on the frame that is as low (or lower) as the master cylinder to mount the lock, or you will possibly get fluid drain-back into the master cylinder and wind-up with some air or void in the line. Ingenuity will prevail and one can find a way to do this. It could even possibly be mounted under the kit on the frame at some point. It doesn't have to be visible...only "reachable" so the operator can push the button/lever. And....as someone mentioned above, you can get an electrically operated lock with a solenoid, but this would require power to the solenoid to keep it locked. I would prefer the manual type.

It's just a simple (to many) brake-line plumbing job like the drag racers use.

More talk about a line-lock then. The mechanical version can be had rather cheaply, but you have to pick a place to mount it in series with the rear brake line. All you do is apply the rear brake, set the line-lock and it locks both rear calipers (or one if that's all you have on some single disc kits).

A short line from the rear T is ran to the device, then the other side of the device is connected to the master cylinder. Just press the brake pedal, push the lever down on the line-lock. Then, you simply push the lever again to release the line-lock. Just requires a few fittings and maybe new hoses to connect and of course, the rear brakes will have to be re-bled. The only real problem is finding a location on the frame that is as low (or lower) as the master cylinder to mount the lock, or you will possibly get fluid drain-back into the master cylinder and wind-up with some air or void in the line. Ingenuity will prevail and one can find a way to do this. It could even possibly be mounted under the kit on the frame at some point. It doesn't have to be visible...only "reachable" so the operator can push the button/lever. And....as someone mentioned above, you can get an electrically operated lock with a solenoid, but this would require power to the solenoid to keep it locked. I would prefer the manual type.

It's just a simple (to many) brake-line plumbing job like the drag racers use.

1550, thank you for your responce. I thought about the manual line-lock but the part about being able to reach while sitting was bothering me and the electic type I wasn't sure if it needed constant electric power to maintain holding power. So I guess I'll have to live with bungees, rubber bands and velcro straps untell someone comes up with a better parking brake setup.
Butch

When getting service yesterday the service manager told me the squeaking would not stop. He said he could not tell how many rotors he had replaced. He told me to call Harley customer relations and report it. They will give me a reference number, and that a recall was coming down the line. There is also a recall for the trunk latch.

All of my Polaris ATV's have had a small trigger on the brake lever, you pull the brake lever on and hit the trigger and it holds the brakes on for a parking brake. They also had a park on the transmission also, the brake was not really needed. I have a Miata and the rear brakes have a parking brake similar to the Triglide and it has never given one minutes problem. Jerry

I want to see it posted and have it yelled all across America....and the world just as soon as somebody can report a known nationwide recall on anything from the MOCO. That is a RARE ANIMAL indeed.

I owned a couple of Buells and Eric Buell did indeed recall all the early units for swing-arm changes. Harley usually does a silent recall....that means they do stuff to it if it comes in the shop and they think about it....just don't tell you about it.

More on the line lock....all it takes is a small valve in series with the brake line. It does not have to be an actual line-lock as big as your fist. You can obtain a small stainless steel in-line valve (I have 2 that I know of) that could be installed within reach. Use your imagination folks! All it takes is a valve with -3 AN fittings on it, or NPT threaded female ports that will accept a -3 AN brake line fitting and then the right length -3 hoses to connect it all up. I would do it just for fun and make one to sell if I felt like it, but I don't feel like it and my BIG rubber-band works wonderfully.

I took the bike back to a local dealer to fix a squeak that kept on going in the rear anytime the bike moved. Picked the bike up and they said they replaced the rear pads with a new part number. He did not give me receipt nor the part number. The rear brakes are not squeaking, but the problem I had with the rear squeaking at any speed quit for one day. It's back again. If I touch the rear brakes the squeek goes away.

Something is touching/rubbing back there. When I go to the dealer, I kind of feel like a 12 year old kid who's complaining to his parents while travelling on a trip with his sister in the back seat.

"She's touching me! Make her stop touching me! LOL.

When getting service yesterday the service manager told me the squeaking would not stop. He said he could not tell how many rotors he had replaced. He told me to call Harley customer relations and report it. They will give me a reference number, and that a recall was coming down the line. There is also a recall for the trunk latch.

Any more info on a recall? My 2011 rear brakes squeak like mad.

Pretty crappy rear brake system all around.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
D-N-R

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
D-N-R
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png