Trike front wheel.

Dec 10, 2008
Dorset, UK
Hi, I have the standard wheel and tyre on my Goldwing 1500GL, can i replace it with something a bit wider? and if yes what is the best thing to replace it with? thanks for your help. From Humpy...:D

It depends on the kit you have on the back. EML do the big wide (car) tyre with the link steering.
I have not seen any other (goldwing) trike with a wide tyre. Of course I am there to be shot down if necessary if I am wrong.......:eek:

Y would you want to turn a wider tire? I would think narrower would be easier.

Afternoon Men.

Sir-Humpalot, you have tweaked my interest and because I have for some time held that more surface contact with the front tyre on a trike is desirable, I will wade in with my own experience along with some ideas you can try.

I ride a MotorTrike Panther (assembled using a Honda VTX1800C) with a self installed 6* Rake on the front Forks. This is for ease of steering and some basic Coolness around my Brothers.

Having been through several iterations of Avon, Metzler, Michelin and “others” in the stock tyre size (130-70-18), I have yet to accumulate little more than 6000 miles before having to change.

I decided to try to change that outflow since I ride 30-40,000 miles per year and tyres were killing me. After doing some computations and measuring clearances between my forks I determined that I could accommodate a 140-70-18 with no modifications. My choice of tyre was the Bridgestone Battlax 45 Rear Tyre run in the opposite direction and carrying 34 PSI. After approximately 4600 miles, the tyre shows virtually no wear.

Data:
· Surface contact increase is about 15% measured across the wear lines.
· Lower pressure seems to increase adhesion substantially and doesn’t seem to affect wear. If you are using a Stock front end, I would work with tyre pressures and strut travel to find the best combination.
· Center of Gravity of the Machine has moved aft slightly. This in my opinion is good.
· High speed stability on my Machine is good. 100+ MPH is no problem.
· No low-speed wobbles.
· Management of high speed lateral G forces is very good.

I have done little to the rear suspension, but I plan to devise a traction and anti-sway bar arrangement this winter when the weather gets Sh*tty. I’ve not, however, done much thinking on that yet.

These are my solutions for my machine and I sincerely hope you can get some ideas to make your Trike safer and more efficient.

BROTHERS FOREVER

BUZZARD
870-257-3556
870-847-1900
bwhittle@centurytel.net

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.-Thomas Jefferson

Thanks everyone, for your input. Buzzard thanks for your feedback, I was once told by a wise old Man, when passing my bike, He said " you need a bigger tyre and wheel on the front of that boy".... With that i hurryed to finish my conversation with the gentleman i was talking to, so as to ask what he ment, but alias he was gone into the crowd.
I will get as much info as i can before i drag her kicking and screaming back to the workshop..... ;)

Buzzards info is great except that in the Uk you are unable to run your tyre back to front. I asked this question on another forum and some ex bandit chaser (Police) said it was illegal and it could affect your insurance if you had any sort of accident. Well her you go again all wrapped up in cotton wool:p

Buzzards info is great except that in the Uk you are unable to run your tyre back to front. I asked this question on another forum and some ex bandit chaser (Police) said it was illegal and it could affect your insurance if you had any sort of accident. Well her you go again all wrapped up in cotton wool:p

Wolfe, thanks for the additional information. I was unaware of your Government's tyre direction requirement. It seems we just cannot get out from under some rule or the other. I suppose our respective Governments are trying to look out for our best interests.

Sir-Humpalot, the option for the rear tyre on the front may still be valid if your Government doesn't object to a reat tyre on the front. Just run it forward. Many here in the States and Canada do just that with no bad results of which I'm aware.

I feel that if you do a little research, you'll find that the rubber compounds manufacturers are using on their rear tyres are superior to that of their front tyres for our application. Trikes plow through turns with most riders and the harder compounds seem to not only wear better, but also adhere better in my opinion.

Regardless, I'm glad to see you here on the forum and I'm looking forward to seeing how you work this out. I particularly like thinkers and experimenters.

Buzzard

We for years have been having the same results running " rear tires" on the front ( either forwards or rev rotation ) of the same size as original got 12,000 on mine still looks new . I think the REAR tire is more of the issue than the tire width.

We for years have been having the same results running " rear tires" on the front ( either forwards or rev rotation ) of the same size as original got 12,000 on mine still looks new . I think the REAR tire is more of the issue than the tire width.

Morning John. I'm hearing results like yours from everywhere and you may very well be correct on using a rear tire of the same size on the front as being the key factor.

As you have probably guessed by now though, I like to experiment with ideas and Sir-Humpalot asked about a wider tyre application. Since I am doing just that, I wanted him to know what my experiences were.

Indeed, I truly have no issue with the information you've offered. It's good stuff.

Buzzard

It is guys like you that experiment and test so we find out stuff like this . If it were not for you experimenters we would never have know to put a rear tire up front.

Hurry up Humpy,
we all want to know what the best answer (tyre) is.....;)
I put the new Avon Cobra on mine this year and it was excellent in the wet. I did want a michelin pilot ativ but could not get then anywhere in the Uk.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoneRider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoneRider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png