Mpa question

May 31, 2011
grand jct. co
i have a 99 valkyrie standard with a new roadsmith kit. i want to go to the MPA rear tire on the front. what size are you using to do this on a valkyrie ? anyone tried a narrower tire to make it steer a bit better ?

my CSC on a 95 goldwing steered like power steering with a 6 degree kit, the valk also has a 6 degree kit, but don't steer as well, i think because of the 6 inch wide front tire.

also, it really hits bumps hard on the front forks, didn't do it before triking, what the heck is causing that ?

Could be you may have to much rake.
The more rake you have the farther the front wheel is moved out which makes it harder for the forks to retract when hitting a bump.
:Trike1::Trike1::Trike1::Trike1:

i have a 99 valkyrie standard with a new roadsmith kit. i want to go to the MPA rear tire on the front. what size are you using to do this on a valkyrie ? anyone tried a narrower tire to make it steer a bit better ?

my CSC on a 95 goldwing steered like power steering with a 6 degree kit, the valk also has a 6 degree kit, but don't steer as well, i think because of the 6 inch wide front tire.

also, it really hits bumps hard on the front forks, didn't do it before triking, what the heck is causing that ?
The rake kit will stiffen the front suspension, since bumps have a tendancy to bind the forks more. The angle isn't as good for bumps. That also tends to wear out fork bushings. New bushings and oil may help.

The front tire on a trike is worked really hard to steer the trike. Personally, on my GL1800, I want all the tire I can get up there. That's a 130. You might increase tire pressure up to the max listed on the sidewall, but that will stiffen the ride more.

Most find a new mpa improves steering.

If the valk is 12 years old, and the forks have never been overhauled, the bushings may be shot. That could explain it.

na, when i bought it, it only had 11,000 miles on it, i have put another 20,000 on it, the bushings are fine, zook said it probably has a bit too much oil in the forks, and a valk really should have an 8 degree kit. i try and listen to the experts when i don't know myself. so i will drain a bit out and see what happens. wish i would have know all this when i bought the kit. i would have bought the rake kit from zook.

zook -- you need to put a primer on here - rake kits 101, so others can be forewarned.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johear65
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png