built new cargo trailer

Nov 15, 2008
Sioux Falls SD
I wanted something to do this winter so I decided to build a new cargo trailer. I have a small one but thought it would be nice to have a larger one for our trip to Canada next summer. Well, here it is, all done! Weighs in at 124 pounds. It is only mid December. What am I going to do for the rest of the winter? Maybe I will sell it and build another.

Looks real nice Glennrae, does it use leaf springs? How does it ride on rough roads, especially when not full ? I'm considering building one but was thinking I needed to use small torsion axles. Any help appreciated.

Thanks. I didn't use any springs or torsion. I have a smaller trailer (see photo)that I purchased from a guy in Iowa. He has built a few. The first ones he built with springs. He said they bounced all over the road. Then he built some with solid axles and said they pull and ride much better. You just adjust your tire pressure to suit your load. I have not pulled the new one yet but have pulled the little one some. With about 25 pounds in the trailer and about 7-8 psi in the tires it pulls like a dream. Even tried it on a road that was rougher that I would usually ride my trike on. Seems OK.
The main reason I did it this way was to keep the cost down. If you would like I could flip it over and take some pics of the bottom. Then I would be happy to send you a copy of the material list and the cost. Oh, and by the way. The little trailer is for sale. I am asking $450 for it. I just put about $100 worth of LED lights on it!

Thx for the info, sounds like a good price, but I generaly build things myself to save every possible penny. It's not that I'm tight, just not alot of pennies to go round. OK, my wife says "I'm tight", anyway I bet you'll be able to sell them fairly easily. Good luck and again thanks for the info.

Really nice job. what did you use as a base? did you build the frame or buy the? ( answer for both trailers please )

Hi, John. The big trailer that I built has a 1.25 x 1.25 square tubing (12 gauge) for the main frame. 2 x 2 for the hitch and some really light angle for the two crossmembers. I have attached a few pics. The black (painted) one is the bottom veiw. The topper is a bit "bullet shaped" so I have also contoured the frame to match. The fenders are a bit to wide for the tires so if I can't find some narrow ones I will take these off and cut them down.
The little trailer (the one I bought) is also built with 1.25 tubing but it looks more like about a 14 gauge (or less). It also has a square topper so it has a real simple square frame under it. The guy that I bought it from dragged it all over South Dakota last summer with no problem.
If you need anything else just let me know. :)

Just wondering how clever of a fellow you were Glenn. I built 3 using HF frames and reworking them . myself I bought a Forest River POD 22 CF, very light, huge 8" tires like 78 series . Got a great deal on it guy that sold trailers wanted to unload it. I paid $500.00 5 years ago. Painted to match bike see " garage " photo;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png