Another Newbie

Dec 17, 2008
NW Indiana
Hi all, ultraboy here. The handle "ultra" comes from the Forums over at J&P Cycles, where I used to post, until they screwed the place all up. Perhaps some of you guys have read some of the F.I. type articles I wrote for them.
Anyway, I've got 4 bikes, so i decided, WTF, I'll convert one to a trike. I got hold of a Motor Trike kit, and am in process of triking my FLHX.
See ya....

Welcome to TrikeTalk, ultraboy! Hope you find this a fun and positive place, as I do! You'll find a lot of great members on this forum.

Welcome to the board. We have a fairly diverse group of trike riders and trike wanna bees. Hope you enjoy the board. Post some pictures when you can and good luck with the conversion.

Hey UB and welcome to the club...Keep us posted on your conversion and maybe along the line, post a pic or two of the job so we can see how it comes along. Glad to have you aboard..:)

Welcome ultraboy. I am just painting my 2007 Road Glide with Champion kit. You will love a trike. Construction photos posted in the Garage Gallery Ted

Welcome Ultraboy. I have read your tech articles on J&P and always enjoyed them. Always very well written and a great read...Glad to have you with us Dave!

Is this your first attempt at installing a trike kit? Be interested in knowing how hard it was and if the instructions and or factory help were good etc. Wanted to do my own ( I am very mechanically inclined rebuilt Car engines when I was not even old enough to drive them ) was not sure at this age if the project would be a weekly or monthly one. :)

Is this your first attempt at installing a trike kit? Be interested in knowing how hard it was and if the instructions and or factory help were good etc. Wanted to do my own ( I am very mechanically inclined rebuilt Car engines when I was not even old enough to drive them ) was not sure at this age if the project would be a weekly or monthly one. :)

Weekly or monthly! My wife wishes! Goin on three years now for me.
Truly though, if you can follow directions and have done a little wrenching, the kits are not hard to instal, (a lift helps). Should be able to do in 30 to 40 hours easy, if you don't change or custumize everything like I do.
My wife still gives me grief when she sees pics of Nanas bike! She wants to know why mine doesn't look like that by now?

LOL, Three years working on the trike, 21 years together. Although she keeps warning me, there won't be too many more if I don't stop spendin money and finish the trike soon.

LOL, Three years working on the trike, 21 years together. Although she keeps warning me, there won't be too many more if I don't stop spendin money and finish the trike soon.

Don't know if I will carry any weight in this, FB, but try telling her that working on the trike has kept you at home for the past three years. LOL. You guys sound fun! Also tell her again that she has excellent taste :D

OK, got it done over the holidays. Pretty straightforward. Haven't ridden it yet, as it's only 13 degrees today...

Last edited:
It is beautiful, ultraboy!!!!! Truly beautiful. Ride safe and proud (when the weather warms up!). You should also post it in the GARAGE so it can be admired even more.

Wonderful. Thanks for posting them :). Great looking work! Of course, rumor has it you are very knowledgeable--and many (think me also) look forward to learning from you and others on here!

Bazooka... I had a look at your web site, very nice indeed! Question for you. I did not rake the trees yet, as I want to ride it first, but from what I'm reading and hearing, it will be inevitable. So... which one do you recommend? I have looked at a couple thru trike type sites, and at a thousand bucks, they seem overpriced. Hell, there are plenty of aftermarket raked trees on the market 3,4,5,6 degrees, whatever you want for a lot less $ than that. Note that I'm not cheap, I just want to get the most bang for my buck. Oh, and yes, I'll be installing it. FYI, 2007 FLHX, Motor Trike Kit.

Thanks,

Ultra

ultraboy, I'm sure Zook will jump in here and answer your question, but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in since I just went through the same decision. I ended up putting in 4.5 degree rake while I had my Road Glide apart. I did a lot of research and all the ones you see for a couple of hundred do not support your fairing mount points, fork lock point, and even the power switch mount. By the time you adapt all the above the price goes up. Next you have to look at the demand for these trees. Trees made for HD touring models normally are only needed for side car and trike applications. Not many people rake a stock frame touring bike. So all that being said , supply and demand dictate the price. I finally found a set of trees by Sidecar Inc out in Wash. State for $600 off the "Craig List". My next step would of been to order some from Motor Trike. Yes they really make a difference. See my album for my Road Glide could be the sister to your Ultra. VERY NICE TRIKE. Ted

Bazooka... I had a look at your web site, very nice indeed! Question for you. I did not rake the trees yet, as I want to ride it first, but from what I'm reading and hearing, it will be inevitable. So... which one do you recommend? I have looked at a couple thru trike type sites, and at a thousand bucks, they seem overpriced. Hell, there are plenty of aftermarket raked trees on the market 3,4,5,6 degrees, whatever you want for a lot less $ than that. Note that I'm not cheap, I just want to get the most bang for my buck. Oh, and yes, I'll be installing it. FYI, 2007 FLHX, Motor Trike Kit.

Thanks,

Ultra

ultraboy-
Thanks. On the rake kits, my recommendation is stick with the Champion EZ-Steer. Thats what Champion and Motor Trike uses and its the heaviest (construction wise not weight) and best built and yes it does have all the factory mounting points you'll need to bolt it right on and remount all your stock items. PM me and I' make you a deal on one. Same goes for any other member.

Also....do not go past 4.5 degrees. On the FLHs more than that is just too loose and is not needed.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png