Bad Front Wheel Bearing

Sep 21, 2009
North East Ohio
I determined that my front wheel bearings were going bad so I made an appointment at Jamestown Harley Davidson in NY on Saturday to get them changed,

I arrived there at my scheduled time of 08:00. The TG was immediately taken into the service area. The service area can be viewed at the service desk. Before the Service Manger and I completed the paper work as I still am under the extended warrenty, a Tech had the TG jacked up and was taking the tire off. About an hour later the job was done and my bride and I were on our way.

If you are ever in the area it would be worth your time to stop there . It is a 2 story dealer and they are TOP shelf. Very friendly and they have GREAT service. The Service Manager and I had a good discusion on the TG.s.

And....by all means if you detect this problem, put it on a wrecker if it's bad enough. I had a friend this past spring that pulled away from the group to head home early. We were having lunch the next day and I received a phone call from him asking me what could make a rear wheel wobble. This was a 2-wheeler, but the same thing applies, it has sealed wheel bearings. I told him he either had a bad swing-arm bearing/connection, or a bad wheel bearing.

He called me the next day from Springfield Harley and told me he had destroyed the bearing...and the wheel. The dealer did not have the wheel and had to order one, so this guy flew home and then flew back to Springfield, MO to pick the machine up a week later.

Apparently...if these sealed bearings fail and you ride one long enough...they will also ruin the wheel, as there is no race in there like it was on the older Timken types that would serve as a barrier before it got to the cast wheel hub.

Must be something you "Mikes" are doing wrong. This guys name was Mike too and when he got home....he bought a small convertible and sold his 2-wheeler.

Fortunately this Mike made it to the shop without having any major problems. I was a little concerned about making the trip and was thinking about trailering it. I guess I will keep mine and not buy a convertible. :D

From speaking with this dealer a few weeks back, they have done conversions for years before the T Glide came out. He stated that three wheelers are a large priority for them. Your post and experience there backs this up. Good for TG owners in that area.
Dennis

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png