Battery location

Hello guys, i´m starting to build my first vw based trike, im starting with the design of it and one question pops up, where im going to put the batery?

the thing is that i´ve seen many vw based trikes and most of the people put their batery over the tranny and why not put it where bikes have there engines for better balance and control, if you look at the picture below, where the red circle is

trike3e2.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

mine is on the left side on top of the frame on a plate welded to the frame.of course,being 12 feet long ,i've never had a problem with center of gravity.it's never even THOUGHT of turning over.:laugh:

mine sets under the left side just ahead of the axle , and has to come in and out from the bottom side (jack trike up to service battery) and can't even see it from the top side for all the other stuff

My oz built panther has it under the riders seat. A second battery is above the tranny for caravan (trailer in usa) use. problem with mounting it further forward is the C of G. VW based trikes need their C of G just forward of the rear axle/differential point for best and safest handling.

I've seen some VW trikes with as little as 10 lbs downforce on the front wheel. My trike has 110 lbs downforce (with or without roof as the roof did not upset the balance and was designed not to upset the balance).

You dont really need easy access to a battery in my view. a good new battery will give you a few years joy before replacement.

Fuel tank placement is also an issue. my trike has a monocoque chassis. eg the fuel tank is under the dummy tank in an alloy box as part of the chassis and the electrics are inside the yellow dummy tank. in some vw trikes tanks are above the swing axles or at the far front that when empty can cause issues. An empty fuel tank and too much power and there if front wheel lift.

Even with my 110lbs downforce if I am at a "T" intersection and I give it too much throttle and turn at the same time the trike will go straight ahead. So this is an importan tissue. As you commence building keep you C of G in mind as you go.

Take care researching this issue and incorporate your findings in your design. it is critical.

IMG_0008-3.jpg

IMG_0007-5.jpg

IMG_00202.jpg

Thanks Triker Walt. the colour is a gelcoat colour called safety yellow the same colour on the background of road signs here in oz. be sure to get a deep yellow and not a creamy lemon yellow. much better in my view. Black as a second colour and chrome here and there give it that great look. Might chrome the full exhaust next winter (your summer).

On The Blue Trike, a Trike Shop Runabout, the battery was under the bodywork just ahead of the seat, about where you specified. It was toward the right side, as the shifter lever mechanism shared that space on the left. With the sealed AGM or dry batteries out now you can mount them on their side or on the end. Wold have been a lot easier to check and wire up if the battery on The Blue Trike could have been mounted sideways.

My vw based trike build is based entirely on center of gravity with front loading firmly planed in my mind. My battery will be placed as far forward as possible. Just behind the front wheel. The frame is built in such a way where the battery is somewhat hidden and easy to service. My trike is fairly short compared to some of the 12 footers measuring in at about 8 ft center rear wheel to center front wheel. My front loading will be approx 140lbs without rider. Most if not all my components are forward of the rear wheel centerline.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png