when to update ECM

Sep 5, 2011
Sparta,mi
I have a 2012 tri-glide with 1600 very enjoyable miles and I am going to get rid of my CAT (too much heat) and will be putting on new header pipes and air cleaner, my ? is since I am not going with different mufflers at this time when do I have to update my ECM.

Why would you change the air cleaner if your not changing muffler's? You take in more air, you should let more air out with freer flowing muffler's to give you more performance and cool it down some. If you only remove the cat, you really don't need to change anything with the ECM, but you will still be running hot. If you change Air cleaner, muffler's and remove the cat, I would suggest some type of fuel management. IMO

I am in about the same situation. 2012 TriGlide, 1600 miles. I am looking at the Kuryaken Perfect Storm kit, but I don't know if it will accomplish everything I want. I want to cool the trike down, increase the power, and give it that nice deep Harley sound that I get from my Nighttrain. The problem is that I am somewhat mechanically challenged. Anything past an oil change/basic service is a little beyond my comfort zone. My local dealer has a trike dyno. Any ideas/suggestions, folks?

I am in about the same situation. 2012 TriGlide, 1600 miles. I am looking at the Kuryaken Perfect Storm kit, but I don't know if it will accomplish everything I want. I want to cool the trike down, increase the power, and give it that nice deep Harley sound that I get from my Nighttrain. The problem is that I am somewhat mechanically challenged. Anything past an oil change/basic service is a little beyond my comfort zone. My local dealer has a trike dyno. Any ideas/suggestions, folks?

Lot of opinion's on this subject. I've done a ton of research since getting into fuel injected touring bikes in 08. I happen to like my 2012 just the way it is.
If I do make any changes, I'm going with Fulsac's X-pipe and a TTS Tuner.
I personally think it's the best bang for your buck. I would like to ask, what do you mean by having more power? Mine has plenty of power. I only added the slipon's and air cleaner to let it breathe and get some sound. I don't like abusive noise, but I do like the Harley deep throated rumble. What RPM's are you running? I use the power band myself. I'm only below 2500 rpm's if I'm going down hill. I get the most power and smooth running between 2800 and 3200. One of the nice things about the 30 tooth sprocket on the 11's and 12's you can use 6th gear earlier without lugging it.

I have a 2012 tri-glide with 1600 very enjoyable miles and I am going to get rid of my CAT (too much heat) and will be putting on new header pipes and air cleaner, my ? is since I am not going with different mufflers at this time when do I have to update my ECM.

If you decat the head pipe only you can kind of get away with not changing anything in the ECM. If you add a free flowing air cleaner such as the SE your going to need to update the ECM. There is still enough available flow in the stock mufflers that freeing up the air cleaner will allow the engine to breath more.

Thanks for the input, and 10rhrk, I would like a few more hp for pulling a trailer. I have found that we can get pretty much everything we need for a trip of a few days in the tour pack, trunk, and a bag on the luggage rack, but the wife wants to Shop! lol. Anyway, that deep throated Harley rumble is just the sound I am looking for. I will look into the Fulsac's X-pipe and a TTS Tuner. Has anyone tried the Perfect Storm kit on an 11 or 12 TriGlide?

Thanks for the input, and 10rhrk, I would like a few more hp for pulling a trailer. I have found that we can get pretty much everything we need for a trip of a few days in the tour pack, trunk, and a bag on the luggage rack, but the wife wants to Shop! lol. Anyway, that deep throated Harley rumble is just the sound I am looking for. I will look into the Fulsac's X-pipe and a TTS Tuner. Has anyone tried the Perfect Storm kit on an 11 or 12 TriGlide?

Go to the Thread Wizard started...Harley's are hot- to spend money or not. there's a guy on there talking about he installed the perfect storm. Let me suggest also if you want maximum performance and power, listen to Mr. Wizard and the Msocko's. These guy's know what they are talking about. Welcome to the Forum and good luck with whatever you do.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png