frankenstein trike kit

I just installed one on my 1991 FLT. I have put about 500 miles on it so far. I have good things to say about the people at Frankenstein. They give good telephone support and ship fast. I had several minor problems with mine, I believe due to being a 1991 model. When riding two up, the rear shocks are scraping on the middle tube of the rear fender mount and I have had minor problem with belt alignment on rear pulley. I am going to take apart and correct these two problems this winter. I also changed out the front triple trees for easier steering. I would recommend the kit, it is very well made and would buy one again. If you have a late model Sportster, you will probably have no problems.

i have 2008 i am building for my wife. it only has 117 miles on it so everything is still real tight. ya i was thinkin about raked out triple trees. sounds like that is the way to go.your the third person i have heard about belt alignment problems. but i have heard alot with no problems. so i think i will go with a frankie. thx for your imput.

thx nana. im checkin all options and this sounds like the best bang for the buck so far. havn't heard anything bad about the kit so far. and i think it looks super cool. thx again

ya i just checked out her frankie and yes it does look cool. i just think the whole axle looks coool. does she like the way it handles to.

She does like it! The Frankenstein kit has a great reputation; I don't think you'll be disappointed.

i wont be. and i pray the wife wont be either. lol. she is sick of bein back seat drive. she wants her own ride. and i think i can pull this kit off myself so im pretty excited about it.

You said I was third person you had heard of belt alignment problems. Do you know how the other's solved the problem. Frankenstein people gave me a solution, which I really don't think is a good solution. Any help appreciated. Thanks

well from what i heard was one guy was thinkin his earlier model sporty had shifted the motor over some how and he was takin it apart to try that. the other guy was takin a spacer to a machine shop and have it cut down. i didnt quite get which spacer but i think it was on the rear axle next to pully. i know his was riding on the inside of his rear pulley but then yet another guy was sayin to him that his belt was ridin to close to his frame. what year bike do you have. i wonder if i should rethink my choice for the wifes sportster 08. other than your belt prob. was it fairly simple?

I have a 1991 Tour Glide FLHT. My belt runs to the outside of the rear pulley. Frankenstein told me to loosen rear end with bike on ground and turn rear wheels in opposite directions to align belt in direction I need to move belt. I did this and belt is close to outer flange of rear pulley, however not contacting it. I just think there should be some type of mechnical aligning method (like the original rear axle adjusters). I am hoping the alignment will hold and plan on taking rear end out again this winter to make some arangement for better alignment method. I highly recommend the Frankenstein kit. It is all aluminum (except axles), the bearings or common Ford parts and the kit is very high quality of construction. One manufacturing I talked to would not tell me were I could buy bearings, he told me I would have to buy from him. Seems like most people have no problem with conversion, however anything I ever do usually is not typical and there are problems. When you consider the overall cost of the kit (some charge less for rear end and rob you on the swingarm) the Frankenstein kit is a good buy for the quality you get.

Even though I have had this problem, I would buy one again.

I forgot, you said one person is having a spacer made. I have tried this and it does not work since a spacer will make belt track to far to outside of trans pulley and rub on trans pulley out flange. It has to be done with out spacers.

i will pass on the spacer info. did u use the triple tree kit they offer or another kind. and did you use the same stock tubes. havn"t bought the kit yet but i think i will go ahead and order it. even with your problems i can tell your pretty happy with the frankie kit. oh ya did you have to use the short shot pipes they have as well.

I used a triple tree kit I bought on Ebay which is a copy of the EZ Steer. The kit has 1.5" lug tub extensions included (I believe many kits include lugs). The kit I bought, however is no longer for sale on Ebay. I had to lengthen the front brake lines, I bought individual components and made my own line. I bought the exhaust pipe extensions and mufflers that Frankenstein sells for touring models, about $400. I am not famililar with a late model Sportster, but I believe you will have to use a press to change out the bushings or bearings on the exchange rear swingarm. The rear end goes in easy, the front end triple tree change on my dresser was the majority of the work.

thx for the info buster. after talkin to you i have made up my mind and this is the kit for me.bazooka is goin to sell me a kit. so thanks again.

I love my Frankenstein trike conversion. NO problems I think installer has a lot to do with outcome. Philip Ware At Texas trike conversion company does excellent work. Conroe, Texas. curley

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png