URGENT!!!!! Lighting Wiring Harness Short Issue

Gorilla

Senior Moderator
Oct 18, 2008
Key Largo. Fl,. USA
Happy New Year to all,

I discovered a safety issue on MJ's Stallion (Unit 175) that I thought needed to get out ASAP. I decided to look at MJ's headlights to see what I could due to make them brighter today. Also they needed aligning. Well I saw that they come out pretty easy so I removed the 2 slip brackets and discovered that the wiring harness at the light end was 1/2 way melted through and bare. The 3 wires (Red/Black/Purple) are enclosed in a plastic covering which runs down the underside of the hood, under the relay (which is plastic tied to the hole in the upper slip bracket) then to the relay and lights. Where the wire harness passes under the relay which is tied to the slip bracket the wire harness was rubbing on the top edge of the (L) slip bracket. The fastening of the relay to the hole in this bracket puts the harness in this position. The harness from vibration wore through the plastic cover on the harness then into the red and black wires. The wires were shorting onto the top (L) split bracket. The red and black wires melted together all the way from the relay to the harness connector running up the underside of the hood. About 18 inches of wire. There was a 1 inch bare spot on the wires where they rubbed on the bracket. I checked the harness above the connector and the wires were okay (LUCKY). I would assume that a fire was a possibility along with loss of lights. I spliced new wires in and secured the harness away from the offending bracket. I do not know how many units this effects, but I think it needs to be looked at. Please look at your harness or have some one look at it. See if it rubbing on the headlight fixture. Our harness was right against the top fastening bracket and that is where it rubbed through. I hope this helps someone. Let us know if you discover the same issue even if it had not worn through yet. Give us your Unit # (last 3 of the VIN) so we can see if my was just a bad install or there really is an issue out there.

The only other issue is the daily leak down of the air bags.

Ted

Last edited:
I have not heard of any other wiring issues but have fixed a few of the Airbag leak issues. See if your airbags were MFG in Canada. The five that I have repaired came from Canada... Thanks for letting everyone know this info...
If I had of said this I would be blasted from here to hell...
kodiak:cool:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png