the dragon

Red

Jul 8, 2011
Washington,NJ,USA
My husband and a couple of his friends just returned from a trip to western NC where they rode the dragon, cherohala, and a number of the twisties out there, and besides raving about the rides, the road maintenance and the people, said that while he thinks anyone could ride the famous dragon, he didn't see how a trike could go as fast through some of the nastier sections as some of the faster two wheelers. Not that they would have to go slow, mind you, but there are so many ultra tight turns in some of the roads, he thinks you'd either poop out and need to slow down, or just need to go a little bit slower. He thinks I'm pretty quick on three wheels but couldn't have gone as fast as they did, and since he's only ridden a trike for about a hundred miles of so is positive he couldn't come close. Also, there are much tougher roads than the Dragon thereabouts such as Rte. 80 off of the Blue Ridge Pway, where you have to have extreme lean angles to stay fast.
So, for those of you who have ridden these roads, what do you say?.:Coffee:

I wouldn't want to try to keep up with the crotch rockets on the dragon, but I easily keep up with my hubby's Harley Street Glide, and he is a pretty aggressive rider through there.

And your husband is right -- there are many equally amazing rides to take in that area. The dragon has just received an awful lot of PR due to the high number of tight turns in a very short few miles.

My Stallion did just fine with the Dragon and was very happy with its performance. I have been on the Dragon many times with my Goldwing and found that three wheels is just as much fun as two wheels. Actually enjoyed the Stallion performance better.
Dean

Did the Dragon this July.
Going "S" I was second in line, and I kept running up on the bike in front of me..

Going "N" I was in the lead, Took those turns like the thing was on rails. I wasn't trying but I left the rest of my group behind.
Wasn't hard but you better get into a rythm, and remember the Inside, apex, outside rules.
Turn off the radio, square your behind in that saddle and pay attention.

cjm
2005 Motortrike w/o rake
MPA front / Michelin hydoredge rear

Me and my better half just returned from Gatlinburg TN. During our stay we did the Dragon and we did it with no problem! The other couple we were with was ahead of us and we stayed right with them. ( they were on 2 wheels ). The Cherohala was outstanding as well along with the Blue Ridge Parkway! I wouldn't be afraid to say that the riding there was some of the best riding since I've been motorcycling! The Smoky Mountain Harley dealership in Marryville TN was AWSOME too!! It makes any dealership in WI look like a rinky dink dealer!! Highly advise anyone to do any riding in that area! Besides, the Dragon was on my "Bucket List"!!!!

We looked up that section of Rte 80 that :10:they took and that is part of the Diamondback loop. We'll be going there next spring and it looks awesome. Joe said he thought that it was more technical and tighter in spots than the Dragon and he heard the loop is waaay longer. I have to see it first but he agrees that they are the finest roads he's seen so far and we ride NH, VT, the NY adirondaks, rural Pa and all the back roads around here regularly.:10:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png