sportster conversion

Oct 7, 2011
Owasso OK
I am a new rider after being a back seat passenger for 75,000 miles!! I have a 2011 Sportster that I just fell in love with so I bought it - pink and black - and I want to convert it to a trike. What is the best kit for a conversion? What does a conversion do to my Harley warranty? I only have 13 miles on the Sportster. Any information would be great. Thanks!

Champion states that their Sportster kits are for one-up riding only. Frankenstein kit may be a good one to check into. I used The Trinity Trike conversion kit for my Sportster trike conversion and wish I hadn't. Good luck and yes, doing the conversion may have an impact on some or all of your warranty coverage from H.D.

Hi Lucy, and welcome to TrikeTalk! About all the major kit manufacturers make a kit for a sportster, and they all have a quality product! It will generally come down to which one's looks most appeal to you, what the costs are, and which one has a good dealer/trike installer near to you. The installation makes a big difference, so be sure to ask around for recommendations on any trike builder you are considering.

Another thing I would strongly recommend is that you have a rake kit installed right at the time of the trike build, no matter which kit you choose! While it is not "required", it would likely make the difference between you loving your trike, or hating your trike.... and I really mean that! No rake kit = rough and very heavy steering. With rake kit = power steering.

Below are some pictures of a couple of different members' sportster trikes for you to get a rough idea of some options. Frankenstein will only offer fenders, no "body", and therefore their kits cost a little less. Most of the other manufacturers offer a fiberglass body including some storage, similar to the picture of the Lehman trike.

SBStormy (female rider...Frankenstein kit)
2003 HD 883 Sportster - Frankenstein Trike - SBStormy’s Photo Gallery - Trike Talk Forum

lazor1 (male rider...Frankenstein kit)
2006 sportster trike - lazor1’s Photo Gallery - Trike Talk Forum

sportytrike (male rider...Lehman kit)
1995 Sportster - sportytrike’s Photo Gallery - Trike Talk Forum

I am a new rider after being a back seat passenger for 75,000 miles!! I have a 2011 Sportster that I just fell in love with so I bought it - pink and black - and I want to convert it to a trike. What is the best kit for a conversion? What does a conversion do to my Harley warranty? I only have 13 miles on the Sportster. Any information would be great. Thanks!

Welcome aboard glad you joined us. I second Nana's advise. The Sporty will make a very nice trike. Good luck

It all depends on you dealer on the warranty, some will tell you its ok then there some shysters out there that will squirm out of the warranty... I was lucky and my Harley dealer installed mine and there was no issue...He warranted the bike and motor trike did the trike kit...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png