?`s v&h short shots on fuelinjected 08 sportster

Sep 13, 2011
luck,wi,usa
I just put on v&h short shots on the trike I assembled and i am adding quiet baffles and I was wondering if anyone out there knew if I have to put a super tuner on it to recalibrate it and have it put on a dyno? I would appreciate any help out there. Thanks:AGGHH:

I have recentluy installed the quiet baffles on my 06 Sporster 1200XL Custom trike. They create slightly more back pressure than the stock baffles and slightly more torque and slightly better throttle response has been noted. I suppose some re-mapping may be required adding them to an EFI model, particularly if you have other add ons like after market high performance air cleaner etc. Dyno run after re-map may tell you of slight hp and torque number gains but I'd save the money....your seat of pants will tell you if they enhance performance and they will be noticably quieter than the stock baffles while retaining the Harley sound.

Last edited:
ok i appreciate the information. the harley dealer told me he would highly recommend installing a screaming eagle super tuner and putting on dyno at a cost of over $900. I asked him why he thought that was necesary and he replyed ''you will tear up your motor if you don't''. I didn't think that was a very imformative answer so I thought I would try to find answers elswhere so thanks again.

If you installed quiet baffles on the Short Shots you will probably be OK as they decrease the exhaust flow a good bit more than an open pipe. If you notice an abnormal amount of exhaust popping on deceleration you might want to think about a tuner because she's probably running lean and needs the air/fuel mixture fattened up .

yup, i noticed that POPPIN sound without the quietbaffles so i was concerned so i thought i would try the baffles. so if it quits poppin i sould be ok?

Decel popping and increased engine heat are both indicators of a lean air/fuel mixture. Keep an eye on oil temp. If it's getting too hot get yourself a tuner. The cost of a tuner is a small price to pay compared to a fried engine. You should be able to get by without a dyno tune as I would think the new race tuner would have a "canned" map that would be real close to your exhaust set-up.

is it pretty easy to figure out once you get into it? I have alot of common sense and can figure out alot of stuff. i put a frankie kit on my wifes sporty in about 3 1/2 hours and rake kit but computers kind of slow my down but i still try and do have some know how on them. i run most my company payroll and ect. on computer so i can do some. but i have never do anything like this.

ok i appreciate the information. the harley dealer told me he would highly recommend installing a screaming eagle super tuner and putting on dyno at a cost of over $900. I asked him why he thought that was necesary and he replyed ''you will tear up your motor if you don't''. I didn't think that was a very imformative answer so I thought I would try to find answers elswhere so thanks again.

Its amazing how much some dealers don't know. I had the knuckle head service manager at the dealer I used to do business with tell me you couldn't smart tune an O2 equipped HD with the SEPST without damaging the engine. Hens one of the many reasons my dad and I no longer do business with this dealer.

ya i know what you talking about. their fix for my wifes sporty was take off the brand new v&h shortshots and put hd pipes on because the tuner they carry is $110 cheaper and easier they said. I looked at him (one eyebrow raised) and said "your saying to spend the money on new hd pipes to save $110 on a tuner. So you must have a set of short pipes for under $105 then right" Well he said NO. And our conversation ended soon after.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png