AT with 1600

I just bought a VW trike with a 1600 engine and auto trans. The engine seems to be pretty well shot. I am going to fix the engine. Here is the question, I want to tow a pop up camp trailer. Should I go to an 1800+ engine or will the 1600 do the job?? Also, when towing on a regular basis, should I add an oil cooler to the trans and engine. Also, will the 1800 fit on the auto trans?

Well it started out as one question:)

rovingjeff

:wave4:

I have a stock 1600 and pull a small trailer (4' wide--5' long--30" high)
Fully loaded, it was right at 450 lbs.
The trike did not even know it was pulling a trailer.
I do NOT have an oil cooler--but have a filter relocation kit with a standard oil sump.
The temp gauge hardly moved as we were pulling the trailer in 98* heat here in Florida.

I imagine that it all depends on the total weight of the trailer and the tongue weight.
If you are rebuilding the engine, why not go bigger?
My building buddy has an 1835 WITH a turbo and it it extremely reliable and will pull tree stumps.
He does have an oil cooler. He said that the turbo adds a lot of heat.

Best wishes.

Mike

:wave4:

One thing to note is the cam, if it is the full automatic, it shifts off of vacuun pressure amongst other things, and a cam will change the vacuum and will definitely affect shifting.

Controversial questions, but here's my two cents worth. Based on the VW's gearing (quite low geared particularly considering you've just dropped 2000 pounds from the body), stock is adequate and most dependable. A couple of mods (better exhaust and carb) will be a good investment, but not a necessity. No such thing as an additional gear for the automatic that I've ever heard about. Any size engine will bolt up to the tranny so long as you don't change the flex plate or crankshaft end (no special tapered crank, etc.).

Short answers, just my opinions, but I am quite open to disagreement. Stock or nearly stock is enough for me and I've pulled trailers all over.

Controversial questions, but here's my two cents worth. Based on the VW's gearing (quite low geared particularly considering you've just dropped 2000 pounds from the body), stock is adequate and most dependable. A couple of mods (better exhaust and carb) will be a good investment, but not a necessity. No such thing as an additional gear for the automatic that I've ever heard about. Any size engine will bolt up to the tranny so long as you don't change the flex plate or crankshaft end (no special tapered crank, etc.).

Short answers, just my opinions, but I am quite open to disagreement. Stock or nearly stock is enough for me and I've pulled trailers all over.

Loner,
you are right, no gears to be changed in the auto, at least not to my knowledge and any vw motor will bolt up to the trannie.

True an autostick can be bolted to any aircooled vw, but there are 2 things that must be observed;

1.) The cam plug on the flexplate side must face in. If it is out like the manual trans. setup the flexplate has been known to wear through it. ( Here is a link to some discussion and pictures over on THE SAMBA )

2.) There are two different oil/atf pumps made. One is for a flat cam gear and the other is for a dished gear. You need to know which pump you have as they are NOT interchangeable .

The other thing that was a question of concern was about adding a cooler to the TRANS FLUID side. The autosticks had one or even two temp sensors on them. These indicated that the atf was getting warm and it was time to downshift. In my opinion with the power of the 1800cc motor and the weight of the trailer, an oil cooler would let you stay in high gear longer with a lower atf temp. I dont believe it is required, but for the cost and ease of installation I would be putting one on my custom build

Good Luck
Pete G

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png