towing Trike and car with Motorhome

GWE

Jan 7, 2009
Hi,

We are new trike owners. We travel and tow our auto with a motorhome. We want to also take our trike.

Does anyone tow both their car and trike. What setup do you have?

Any help would be appreciated.

GWE

Welcome to the wonderful world of trikes!

Only two practical options. Swap the car for a pickup and load the trike in the back or load both (assuming the car is small enough) on large trailer.

Don't be tempted by the car tow dolly with the trike behind. You'll have a high risk of losing all three.

We trailered a bike behind our motor-home last year. This year it's a trike. We will park the motor-home and use the trike when we get there, will be gone for two months. This worked fine with the bike and will be even better with the trike.

I've seen many motor-homes pulling a car, with a bike (motorcycle) mounted on the back of the motor home, but never a trike. It seems a truck or large trailer would be the way to go.

Thanks for the information.

We tow a lifted Jeep because we also do a lot of off road exploring out west. That's why we don't want a pick up.

We can have Overbilt build a dolly with a platform in front for the Trike. Has anyone ran across this set up. The trailer can be built to hold the weight, but the trike cannot set sideways due to the trike is too long. This makes the trailer about 16' long not including the Jeep hanging off the back of the dolly.

I'm trying to find someone with experience towing with this setup to get some info as to how safe and what a PITA this could be. We have never seen this set up, but we have always ran with Jeep groups in the past. Hoping a trike group may know something about this. Our trike has already told my wife that it will not be left behind! :)

We looked into the enclosed and double decker trailers, but our Motorhome is 43' to start with.

With all that added we know by experience we would have a lot of trouble getting in and out of RV Parks.

Thanks for any info.

GWE

solution for jeep and Trike

Thanks for the information.

We tow a lifted Jeep because we also do a lot of off road exploring out west. That's why we don't want a pick up.

We can have Overbilt build a dolly with a platform in front for the Trike. Has anyone ran across this set up. The trailer can be built to hold the weight, but the trike cannot set sideways due to the trike is too long. This makes the trailer about 16' long not including the Jeep hanging off the back of the dolly.

I'm trying to find someone with experience towing with this setup to get some info as to how safe and what a PITA this could be. We have never seen this set up, but we have always ran with Jeep groups in the past. Hoping a trike group may know something about this. Our trike has already told my wife that it will not be left behind! :)

We looked into the enclosed and double decker trailers, but our Motorhome is 43' to start with.

With all that added we know by experience we would have a lot of trouble getting in and out of RV Parks.

Thanks for any info.

GWE

I know this is an old post. I am now facing a similar problem and wanted to find out your solution you came to.

scubadiver1201

Many states laws prohibit pulling two with one with the exemption being Road Tractors pulling a Semi Trailer and a Full Trailer. A M-home or PU pulling a 5th wheel trailer or regular trailer doesn't qualify so another towed vehicle like car, car dolly with car, trailer is prohibited.

I have seen wreckers called to a stop to tow the prohibited 2nd towed vehicle for storage at owners expense until owner goes back and get's it or pays to have it delivered by the wrecker operator .... and a summons issued.

Just saying .... you may travel through a state and get lucky 4 times .... and get stopped the next trip through 500 miles or more from home and ..... there you are.

Worth checking state's laws before. Counting on sympathy after the fact is not a good tactic.

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/t...tion46.2-1116/

We purchased a load all V3 system for our 2017 Tri-Glide Ultra and use our 2018 Ford F-150 with the 6'3" bed, 4-wheel drive to haul it behind our 40-foot Monaco Knight motorhome. We did add rear air shocks to make the trike ride easier. It's easy to load and unload. Once the trike is removed, we close up the bed and reinstall our tonneau cover.

https://loadall.com/products/v3-expansion-loading-ramp?variant=926450399

20180307_100149.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png