I'm Amazed

Sep 21, 2009
North East Ohio
I called the MOCO Customer Service today and talked to them about the 3 starter switches that went South. You are going to be completely shocked and amazed on what they told me. I was told that since I modified my engine that possibly that caused the switch failure.

I was so shocked that with such a STUPID answer that I figured there was no sense in talking to that person. It was qiute obvious they came from a different planet.:Shrug:

It is really all my fault. I should have known that installing SE 255 cams ( mechanical mod ) would cause problems with the starter switch ( electrical)

Those folks just plain amaze me with their reasoning. The thing that really has me baffaled is they didn't know what to say when I told them the first switch went south in 2009 before the mods were made. There was just dead silence.I couldn't get them to comment.

Yes, I took it to the dealer and all 3 switches were fixed under the warranty. I called the MOCO as no one seemed to know why 3 switches have gone bad. The switches have been replaced but the cause of the problem hasn't been fixed.

I have called "those people" a time-or-two over my 25-year span of Harley ownership and long ago discovered that HQ is completely staffed with idiots. I called once to notify MOCO of a potential safety issue that I had discovered and felt like they would be interested in hearing that personal injury and lives could be at stake. This particular item was purchased in a dealership, had Harley Davidson written all over it and was trademarked Harley Davidson on the tag attached to the item. I worked my way up the chain to some Vice-President of some department and was informed that Harley did not actually manufacturer that item and I would have to take it up with the company that actually made it. I was so flabbergasted that I never tried to suggest anything else to those clowns. That was the point in time that I came to the conclusion that I would never own a Harley that I could not fix myself with aftermarket cloned parts if I had to. That is still my position today and I will never own another one that I cannot fix on my own without their help.

That was the point in time that I came to the conclusion that I would never own a Harley that I could not fix myself with aftermarket cloned parts if I had to. That is still my position today and I will never own another one that I cannot fix on my own without their help.

Pretty much how I feel, I'll keep what I own and buy used if I get the itch for something else in the HD lineup. I won't buy new and I'll choose aftermarket parts when I can find them for getting the job done.

I think If Harley keeps treating the customers like they treated you(and Me) and don't get their quality up they are gona go the way of GM or worse! I know If I ever buy another Bike or Trike I'm gona look hard at another brand!

I think If Harley keeps treating the customers like they treated you(and Me) and don't get their quality up they are gona go the way of GM or worse! I know If I ever buy another Bike or Trike I'm gona look hard at another brand!

That is pretty much becoming the feelings of even the die hard Harley fans.

All this takes me back to the Shovelhead days. All the old die-hard Harley fans at that time just could not fathom the loss of the Shovel, chain, 4-speed and kick-start and for years and years would not go near an EVO. It sounds like we all come-across as Harley haters to the "new generation", but nothing could be farther from the truth. I would not own or ride anything else, but I just hate to see the MOCO keep shooting itself in the foot.

Maybe we are all just getting old and refuse to keep up with the times. I have put 75K-100K on the older ones more than once and know several that have well over 100K on early Twin Cams. I just can't force myself to lay-out the $$$ for a new one. Maybe this is the norm and we just have to live with it....but we have the choice.

I am just sitting back and lurking to come across that low-mileage carbureted EVO that I can turn into the bike "I use to have". There is one out there....I just have to find it.

I have had lots of Harley's over the 50 years I have riden. Have owned a few Yamaha's and a couple of Honda's.
I have not found any one to be better, when it comes to issues, once I had modified them, pipes, air cleaners, cams etc.
Once I buy a Harley, it never goes back to the dealer, hell I never go to dealers, for anything. You can find just about anything you need with out opening a dealers door.
Example: primary drain o-ring, HD $2.00 plus tax, same o-ring at ACE Hardware $.59 all day long and on line even cheaper.
If you don't buy from the dealers, shirts and chrome etc, you will have money for the other issues lol

And then there is the Durango Dealership that wants $400 for a rear tire on an Ultra 2-wheeler, but the Honda Shop across the street will install the same tire for $200. THAT is the sort of crap that drives us that know better away.

They have a good looking $75 shirt made in China, but no $200 tires.

My 09 had one of the defective front tires, you know the one that was mounted backwards due to being marked wrong. Mine wore out with a little over 6000 miles on it. I didn't know it was defective, never got a notice from Harley. Anyway Brother-in Law informed me of defective tires on 09's so I took it to the dealer and they checked it. Yes it's defective but it is worn down more than 3/32 of an inch in one or more places so all they can allow is 1/2 the cost of a new tire. Now does that make sense. The tire was defective and that's what caused it to wear so fast. They said if I had brought it in before it had worn more than 3/32 of an inch they would have covered the full cost of the tire. I had no Idea the tire was defective(was not informed by Harley) I was trying to get as many miles as I could out of it! That's the kind of things that tick's me off!:censored:

My 09 had one of the defective front tires, you know the one that was mounted backwards due to being marked wrong. Mine wore out with a little over 6000 miles on it. I didn't know it was defective, never got a notice from Harley. Anyway Brother-in Law informed me of defective tires on 09's so I took it to the dealer and they checked it. Yes it's defective but it is worn down more than 3/32 of an inch in one or more places so all they can allow is 1/2 the cost of a new tire. Now does that make sense. The tire was defective and that's what caused it to wear so fast. They said if I had brought it in before it had worn more than 3/32 of an inch they would have covered the full cost of the tire. I had no Idea the tire was defective(was not informed by Harley) I was trying to get as many miles as I could out of it! That's the kind of things that tick's me off!:censored:

That would tick off the Pope on good Friday.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png