Shooting Advice

Mar 20, 2010
Killeen / Fort Hood, TX
Cops carry guns to protect themselves, not to protect you.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

Never let someone or something that threatens you get inside arm’s length and never say "I’ve got a gun." If you feel you need to use deadly force for heaven’s sake let the first sound they hear be the safety clicking off, and they shouldn't have time to hear anything after that, if you are doing your job.

The average response time of a 911 call is over 23 minutes, the response time of a 9mm/.357 or .44 magnum is 1400 feet per second.

The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win - and cheat if necessary.

Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but he'll have to beat you to death with it, cause it's going to be empty.

If you end up in a gun fight... If you're not shooting, you should be loading. If you're not loading, you should be moving; if you're not moving, you're dead.

In a life and death situation... do SOMEthing. It may be wrong, but do something.

If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for?

You can say 'stop' or 'halt' or use any other word you think will work, but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language.

You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it.

You cannot save the planet, but you may be able to save yourself and your family.

I agree 100%, but on another Harley forum the concencus is the opposite. They're more worried about what the law will do to you if you shoot someone. Most of the posts ask if you are willing to really shoot someone who is stealing your saddlebags. Most have said they would let the thief go instead of shooting them. I can see their point - but I'm just not that forgiving.

Thief = bad person
Victim = good person
So why does the criminal justice system go after the good person? Hmmmmm

Laws are for looking out for the criminals rights and to hell with you awful, trouble causing victims.

Good rules. I always liked these, too.

Marine Corps Rules for Gun Fighting

1. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns.
2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
3. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.
4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly.
5. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are referred.
6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.
7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.
9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.
10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
11. Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
12. Have a plan.
13. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.
14. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.
15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
16. Don't drop your guard.
17. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees.
18. Watch their hands. Hands kill. In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them.
19. Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.
20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.
21. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
22. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
23. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
24. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with a "4."

Semper Fi
doug

All good advise, BUT they have to be tempered with 'local' reasoning, namely which State you're in. In California:

- If you bring a gun to a fight, you are the bad guy
- If you shoot the bad guy without clear warning ...10 to 15, with time off for good behavior
- If threatened by a 300 lb gorilla, did you FIRST back off & warn him that you were armed, before terminating the encounter.
- Threatened? Was the perb within the 21' danger circle? No? So you are not at expert at reckoning distances in the dark? Put yr hands behind yr back, please!
- He was breaking into yr house, you say. Was he armed? Was he within the danger circle, did you clearly warn him to stop before you shot?
- In light of the recent incident involving you, yr CCW Permit has been revoked.

_ Ad nauseum!:(:Shrug:

'nuff said:mad:

:Agree: I hope I never have to take it out of the holster except to clean it and practice with it.

Agreed! I have a permit for CCW, but avoid places and circumstances where a firearm would be necessary to defend my wife or myself. I don't own a crystal ball, however! I hope and pray that I'll have any other choice but to use deadly force.

In the case of a foreign threat to my beloved country, I would defend her to my last breath, as so many have done before me and to whom I'm eternally grateful.

Agreed! I have a permit for CCW, but avoid places and circumstances where a firearm would be necessary to defend my wife or myself. I don't own a crystal ball, however! I hope and pray that I'll have any other choice but to use deadly force.

In the case of a foreign threat to my beloved country, I would defend her to my last breath, as so many have done before me and to whom I'm eternally grateful.

I'm the same way, I try and avoid situations that will force me to use it. Last month while driving to dinner I had a guy start road raging after I passed him. I did everything to let him just move along, he stuck to me like glue and just wouldn't go away. If I sped up he would speed up, if I slowed down to let him pass he would slow down also. I tuned into the mall where the restaurant is located and sure enough he followed, I had to decided whether to drive out of the mall and see what would happen or just pull into the restaurant and have the wife dial 911 if he started crap. I was lucky and when I pulled into a parking spot right in front of a window with dinners he choose to move along.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png