2012 tri Glide

Oct 18, 2011
Bham AL
My wife is considering buying her first trike, she has been riding a Harley
Sotail, but would like to switch over to a trike
Question what is all the noise about Harley running hot. I ride a 2010 Road king
and they do get hot even with engine guards. Now the 2012 Tri Glide are they still having the same issue, as far as a cat goes. What are the cons, to the tri Glide
Thanks

vtxharley

I am sure you will get more technical answers than mine- but I think it is all based on the exhaust. Particularly where the headers split, this can be modified by removing the restrictive material in the junction. Look in the harley section of the forum-there you wil find some good write ups on this issue. I think the heat stems from a catylitic convertor.:wave4:

i own a '09 t/g and have had very few problems and really like it

after i installed the S&S 510 solid cam, that said if i was to buy another trike i'd consider trikeing a new goldwing or bmw.because they are smoother running, more hore power etc. i know its not american. those dealers are 1 1/2 hrs away, so i

chose h-d, which is 12 miles away. lb

just found out that baker plus 1.5 oil pan price is $695.00
i am going to buy one this winter, as adding 1.5 qts of oil to the system
should really help keep oil temps down.

just found out that baker plus 1.5 oil pan price is $695.00
i am going to buy one this winter, as adding 1.5 qts of oil to the system
should really help keep oil temps down.

You might talk with Baker before you purchase, looks like it would be a tough install.

baker says both rear wheels have to be removed for the install. ordered one. will
let local shop install & update later. lb it took 3 hrs labor. just drain it,unbolt it and slide it rearward. plenty of room.
the reason i let the local shop do it was when installing the oil pan, its easier with two people.and no the rear tires don't have to be removed, just the dip stick.

Last edited:
10rhrk, I just bought a 2012 red Tri Glide just like yours 2 weeks ago. So far I love it. Have to wait till next summer to see what the heat is going to be like. Glad to hear the the crotch cooler is working because I showed a picture of it to my local leather lady. She said she makes custon ones also but uses some material that she uses for the local foundry guys as a layer behind the leather. I'm having her make the cooler a little longer so that the bottom lays parallel with the ground. I don't like the way the Capt's cooler lays. Hope they work as good as you say the Capt's does.

So far I have added heated grips, an air seat HogTunes speakers/amp, floor board extenders and a custonized drink holder that mounts to the passenger hand rail(I'm a solo rider). These things I can't live without.

:)

Eagle1, I was thinking on buying that Baker oil pan, but $695!!

WOW - No way. I'd get a race tuner before doing that. Yes it will cool down the oil somewhat, but not enough to justify $695. JMHO

10rhrk, I just bought a 2012 red Tri Glide just like yours 2 weeks ago. So far I love it. Have to wait till next summer to see what the heat is going to be like. Glad to hear the the crotch cooler is working because I showed a picture of it to my local leather lady. She said she makes custon ones also but uses some material that she uses for the local foundry guys as a layer behind the leather. I'm having her make the cooler a little longer so that the bottom lays parallel with the ground. I don't like the way the Capt's cooler lays. Hope they work as good as you say the Capt's does.

So far I have added heated grips, an air seat HogTunes speakers/amp, floor board extenders and a custonized drink holder that mounts to the passenger hand rail(I'm a solo rider). These things I can't live without.

:)

Eagle1, I was thinking on buying that Baker oil pan, but $695!!

WOW - No way. I'd get a race tuner before doing that. Yes it will cool down the oil somewhat, but not enough to justify $695. JMHO

Congrat's on the new Triglide. I like the color combo a lot. My wife's has the chrome frontend package that includes floorboard insert's, mirror's,grip's and rear brake pedal. I installed the stage 1 setup she had on her 2010 SG Trike.

Runs and rides great! she put 20K miles on her 2010. The only time it went to the Dealer was for a neck bearing adjustment.

I started to do it myself, but it was under warranty so I let the Dealer do it. I'm lucky to have some good Dealer's near me.

I've never heard of a Dealer telling customer's thing's like I hear on here. JMO

My husband forgot to mention that I had him remove the lowers also. I'm trying to convert it into a Street Glide! The next thing to come off will be those honking antennas'. LOL:laugh:

I use to take the lowers off every summer, but can't anymore. That's where I have my 7" woofers and boy do they make a difference, so I'll have to suffer a little in the summertime.....unless I play some "COOL" music. :D

Have you tried the floorboard extenders yet? I've had them on my last 2 Ultras and really like them. They move your floorboards another 1" away from the engine for more air movement around the legs. I can get my right foot all the way on the boards now without touching the air cleaner.

I use to take the lowers off every summer, but can't anymore. That's where I have my 7" woofers and boy do they make a difference, so I'll have to suffer a little in the summertime.....unless I play some "COOL" music. :D

Have you tried the floorboard extenders yet? I've had them on my last 2 Ultras and really like them. They move your floorboards another 1" away from the engine for more air movement around the legs. I can get my right foot all the way on the boards now without touching the air cleaner.

COOL music...that good!:D

Yes, I did put the floorboard extender's on her Triglide. I've put those on every touring bike I've owned. They are a must IMO! Ride safe!!

Love the color.....Same as mine

Thanks! I really think HD did a good job with the 2012 Triglide. She's got 3,464 miles on it now and liking it better everytime she ride's. She didn't like the stock seat at first. (She had a Mustang on her 2010) Now she said the seat is feeling better. We recently did a 328 mile day. I told her if the seat felt good after that, she better keep it...:D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png