Fork oil choice

Oct 18, 2011
Tennessee
When switching over to EZ steer on my 2003 FLH, I want to rebuild the fork tubes and would like to know which fork oil & weight to use. I figure it to be much easier to perform this task now than later. I've heard that going to Screaming Eagle heavy fork oil improved the ride on a 2 wheeler, but haven't been able to find any information on doing this with the EZ steer mod.on a trike.

Im running Spectro 40wt fork oil in my trike with my easy steer. I found SE oil wasnt thick enough. Now with the 40wt oil I dont have to change my oil every 10k miles. I go 20k plus I prefer the firmer ride I get with the thicker oil.

Spectro oils also has a 30wt for a softer ride. FYI SE fork oil is 15wt

It needs to be heavy like all you folks have suggested. I don't think the Harley Racing Fork Oil is heavy enough. The guy that invented the Sta-Bo suspension products recommended 30w non detergent to me. The non detergent is not suppose to be as prone to foaming.

Can't say for sure about the EZ Steer, but a heavy oil to prevent nose-dive is usually recommended in Harley forks.

It needs to be heavy like all you folks have suggested. I don't think the Harley Racing Fork Oil is heavy enough. The guy that invented the Sta-Bo suspension products recommended 30w non detergent to me. The non detergent is not suppose to be as prone to foaming.

Can't say for sure about the EZ Steer, but a heavy oil to prevent nose-dive is usually recommended in Harley forks.

I agree, thats why I use the 40wt. The front end is stiff for the first 300 miles but afterwards I like how its rides and there is no more heavy dive in the front end if I have to use the front brakes hard.

Heres the Spectro web link on the 40wt and its also has anti foaming agents >>> http://spectro-oils.com/products/suspension/hdfork.asp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png