Axle width

Oct 31, 2011
Minnetonka MN
I've decided to trike my Heritage with a Frankenstein kit. I have the option of an axle width of 38" or 42" with standard 215/6015 tires.

265/50/15s are an option, but I think that;s too much for a road bike (not chopper).

Which axle length would you recommend or doesn't it make much difference in handling/safety?

This is a great question and I am anxiously awaiting some technical opinions. I was considering a Frankenstein, but am leaning toward the independant suspension brands. For a hot rod look I like the FT, but I have yet to see a body that I like that is compatable.ThumbUp:D

I recently installed a Frankenstein 38" rear end on my Tour Glide. I installed rims with 4" offset. I have about a 1,000 miles on mine now and it handles fine. I believe the rims Frankenstein sells have 4 3/4" offset. About the body; if you were going to install a body with a Frankenstein rear end, you would not be able to see the rear end. You might as well install one of the regular rear axle assemblies by another manufacturer which hides the rear end assembly. I used their fenders and fender bracket kit.

Thanks everyone.
But what axle length is better and why. Or maybe there's no measurable difference in handling/safety.

Logically, the longer the more stable, but logic doesn't always work.

the '09 tri-glide is about 40 1/2" i'd go for the wider width.i just measured mine as its on jacks. (gotta clean the wheels) more stability. and if you make a trailer out of a car dolly is 40 1/2". (inside to inside of the ramps)i just measured mine.
advantages to makeing a trike hauler out of a car dolly is in most states you don't have to license the car dolly. and its every easy to load & unload. more trunk area too.
just bolt the car dolly solid so it doesn't pevit. some guys have made excellent ones. with pics. on this site. good luck

Last edited:
I would go with the 42" with dual outside brakes. More stable, better braking power, better if towing a trailer. I have the 38" with dual outside brakes. I can tow a 4 x 8 trail with tear drop camper on board just fine. I believe if you wanted to make a body or trunk for the rear since Frank doesn't have one, the 42" would give you more room for storage. Heck, I bet you could put a Mini Cooper rear end on there for a trunk!

I just bought a Dyna with the 42" and the wider wheels/tires. The guy I bought it from said he chose the 42" because of the additional stability. He also said this is the standard width primarily used on the bigger bikes (cruisers) and the 38" has a more sporty look. Depends what look you're going for as well as the value of the additional stability. If you're riding 2-up, I would think the wider the better. I do not have the outside brakes and the guy I bought it from said if you mash it, it may pull to one side or the other somewhat so you have to be prepared. Sounds like the outside brakes would be better there. Sorry I don't have more practical experience, but hopefully this helps.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png