Preventitive maint. trunk seal

Feb 18, 2008
Anderson, Missouri
On another thread there is an issue with the trunk gasket leaking. I was thinking about Her Purpleness, and the last time we ran in a rain (From Des Moines, Ia. to south of Joplin, Mo. - about a 6 hour run.) there was some evidence of water in the trunk. It wasn't wet, it wasn't water tight, either. Anyone have any idea of what to replace the rubber gasket with? It would be great if I could replace it with something sourced from an auto parts store or the like. The rig is a 1995 Motor Trike Classic, and the seal is showing a bit of age.

I would think you can find a decent seal from any (larger) auto parts store. It would be a 1/2" D shaped gasket?

Remove your old gasket and clean up the surface with some Goof-Off or 3M Adhesive Remover.

Cut to fit the gasket.

Apply 3M gasket sealer.. the nasty stuff.. on the gasket and install.

Clean up again with Goof-Off or 3M after it dries.

Close the lid and adjust the latches.

Taking my best SWAG. Do you think that would work?

EDIT.. Oh yeah.. if the new gasket is stiff or curled then soak it in hot water (about as hot as you can stand) for about 15-20 minutes, reapply the shape you want (holding it in place with duct tape) and let it cool again. Beats fighting the glue mess later.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are talking the lower trunk. Mine on my DFT is an overlap lid. I would also check the handles and hinges. A little Silly con wouldn't hurt around the screw/bolt holes . also look were the wires enter the trunk for trailer wires or tail lights etc. Mine was leaking around the Mud flap screws

Hey John, good idea about the screw, bolt and wire holes.

I checked out the weatherstripping today, and I noticed that it went up one side, accross the top and down the other. There isn't any along the bottom, and no indication there ever was any there. It has a flat ledge along the bottom of the opening that the trunk door rests against, and a 3/4" lip on the inside. There is the water barrier, but I wonder if some seeped over after 6 hours riding in the rain. I think I'll see if some thin door or window weatherstrip will fit to make a better seal.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildthang

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildthang
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png