What is the name of this part?

Rsw

Sep 8, 2011
Little Hocking, Ohio
I am planning on building a new trike from start to finish. I want to use a new torsion tube with the transaxle mounts on it. What is the official name of that part and where can you get a new one at?

From what I see in the pic is a torsion for a vw and there are NO New ones around, unless you gt an aftermarket one made by the OffRoad buggy parts people.
The torsions very seldom wear out and you can get new replacement parts for it , if need be.

Thank you guys for the replys!! I got a hold of Steve at Wildmans and he hooked me up with some aftermarket places to check out. What a super nice guy!!! I knew the one part was called a torsion tube, but thouht maybe it had a name for the tube and transaxle horns together. Thank you vwmanic for your imput also!! I bought a trike, but do to things out of my control, have not got to take a ride on it yet. I'v got two years to build one that will take me and the wife on the "see America tour". That is why I want to build one from strat to finish.

What you have tagged on eBay is part of what you're looking for. Add to it the trailing arms, torsion bars, cover plates, spring plates, etc., etc., plus shipping and you're probably looking at having well over $600-$700 in it. Shop some local salvage yards and you should be able to come up with the complete assembly for $200 or under. Since you are at square one with your build, you might want to give some thought as to what transmission type you want - manual 4-speed, autostick 3-speed, or full automatic, your choice will help define the torsion and other parts you select. As well, if you can get your suspension (torsion assembly) from a Type 3 VW you likely will not have to cut the front of it to weld to your frame.

Have you given thought to maybe starting with a frame that does not require robbing a VW suspension at all? You might look at my profile photos for ideas in that area. That allows no used or refurbished parts at all - all new.

I understand that there is alot to consider when it comes to building a new trike. I have already talked to a trans shop about a building a 4 speed transaxle to fit my needs. I have called all the local salvage yards and there is no VW's to be had. I went and look at one that was already out ot the car and the horns had holes rusted in it and he wouldn't take less then $300.00 for it. I was just looking for options. I just seen on one of those off road sites that they are charging a $500 core charge for dune buggies made using a stock torsion tube. Said they are getting to hard to get. Might be a good investment if you can find them cheap enough. I feel that if it cost a extra $300 to $400 and I don't have to run and look at junk trying to find a rusthole free one, it would be worth it.

just stopped by to see whats up and saw your request.....you have a pre IRS VW rear drive/suspension. if you are planning to build a VW powered trike, may i make a suggestion?
go to a foreign car parts yard, preferably a Volks wagen yard and look for a 1972 or later VW or Porsche IRS rear section. it will have most of what you will need to set up the entire rear section of any VW powered trike minus motor and transaxel; im assuming you already have them.....

names Smokee, im a newbie here; i design wheelchair accessible Trikes for disabled bikers who are wheelchair bound and wish to get back "in the wind" again.

good luck on your build....

I have a few irs rear frame sections. And one swing axle
if anyone else is looking all have paper work
after hunting season ill have a few more stumbled accross them on some new property

I got a trike 2 seater side by side body just started to research if anyone has info

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png