trike conversion

Nov 16, 2011
wayne, wi
Hello to all. my first posting. Looking for some feedback. I am thinking of a trike conversion for my 2001 ultra. The Frankenstien conversion kit seems pretty decent, it seems to be well built and for the dollar a good deal, any info, good or bad, would be appreciated. Champion trike is being considered. Has anyone heard about or dealt with Kool Trikes(kooltrikes.com) out of Wisconsin? I am leaning toward a straight axle versus an independent axle because less parts means less can go wrong. I have read several different post both pro and con about the independent or straight. I am looking for any info from mpg reduction to handling to trike being extra hot to ride.

Thanks
Steve

The Frankenstein is more of a performance and sporty kit, but I think they are good products. Champion is a good choice if you ever plan to ride 2-up, or make longer trips.

JMHO....but stay with the straight-axle. It will be less expensive and simpler. You do not sound like a guy looking for a rocking-chair if you are talking Frankenstein, so you will not be bothered by the little stiffer ride the straight axle will give you. The current Tri Glide is a straight-axle design and you don't hear many people complaining about the ride. Go look under the front of your car and make a note of all the moving suspension parts...then go look under a Tri Glide, or the rear end of your pick-up and you will see what I mean. I am not bashing the independent suspension folks, but you can't argue the fact that a straight axle will be simpler to install, easier to maintain.....and cheaper.

Fuel mileage will likely be in the mid-30's on average on that converted Ultra with the Champion. Handling....once you get use to it and have it properly set-up...you can take a curve with any 2-wheeler....well...except a crotch-rocket maybe.

Hello to all. my first posting. Looking for some feedback. I am thinking of a trike conversion for my 2001 ultra. The Frankenstien conversion kit seems pretty decent, it seems to be well built and for the dollar a good deal, any info, good or bad, would be appreciated. Champion trike is being considered. Has anyone heard about or dealt with Kool Trikes(kooltrikes.com) out of Wisconsin? I am leaning toward a straight axle versus an independent axle because less parts means less can go wrong. I have read several different post both pro and con about the independent or straight. I am looking for any info from mpg reduction to handling to trike being extra hot to ride.

Thanks
Steve

welcome aboard. 07 RK with Champion straight axle. Great conversion.

The Frankenstein is more of a performance and sporty kit, but I think they are good products. Champion is a good choice if you ever plan to ride 2-up, or make longer trips.

JMHO....but stay with the straight-axle. It will be less expensive and simpler. You do not sound like a guy looking for a rocking-chair if you are talking Frankenstein, so you will not be bothered by the little stiffer ride the straight axle will give you. The current Tri Glide is a straight-axle design and you don't hear many people complaining about the ride. Go look under the front of your car and make a note of all the moving suspension parts...then go look under a Tri Glide, or the rear end of your pick-up and you will see what I mean. I am not bashing the independent suspension folks, but you can't argue the fact that a straight axle will be simpler to install, easier to maintain.....and cheaper.

Fuel mileage will likely be in the mid-30's on average on that converted Ultra with the Champion. Handling....once you get use to it and have it properly set-up...you can take a curve with any 2-wheeler....well...except a crotch-rocket maybe.

One of the reasons I am leaning towards Frankenstien because I like the fact that I get to keep the original swing arm if I want and also the triple tree is included. A body can allways be added later. But Champion is still very appealling. Thanks for your input.

If you want to look at a terrific IRS kit, check-our Roadsmith. No maintenance design. I've had both (solid axle Motortrike / 89 GL1500) and IRS (Roadsmith / 2010 GL 1800)...Pros/cons on each. Handling generally better on IRS rig (but, I adjust tire pressure and that makes a big diff. on twisties). Solid is simpler design, but, Roadsmith IRS doesn't require any mainenance, either. If somethng goes wrong in the back you're fixing it regardless. MHO -- The mechanics/safety on all name brand rigs are very good today, so, I'd play that selection criteria as a "wash". I'd choose the kit that you like based on looks and ride -- both of those are personal.

I put Frankenstein's narrow "Sport" rear end on my Dyna. I love it! Of course, I have not had another trike to compare it to....I can tell you that Dan does not like to ride behind me on a rough road, he says it freaks him out to watch the tires bounce :D but from the drivers' seat she stays just as straight as on brand new pavement. With the heavier Ultra to start with I don't think you would have the option of the narrow axle - and it is solo rider only with my set-up. Frankenstein has a bunch of options, though. With what was a slight "custom" installation, we called the factory a couple of times for help and they were GREAT. The machine work on the kit was amazing; the tolerances were precise and instructions - with photos! - were easy to follow. I really liked that I sent them my swingarm & pulley - and they mounted the pulley to the axle so I didn't have to worry about alignment, torque, etc. A couple of things that I didn't realize until the pile of boxes arrived: 1) you will need to powdercoat the swingarm if you send them yours; 2) fenders also will need paint; 3) take the kickstand off when you install the rear end :) and 4) if you don't already have short exhaust, you will need to do that too.
There are photos of the build on my profile, I think....

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png