Sad little trike

Dec 26, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I haven't posted in a while, cause I have been out driving the wheels off the trike. Sadly though, a few weeks ago, after a short 4 mile drive, the engine sounded like it sucked up a bolt or something. I pulled over only to have vapor lock, so I had to have it toed home. Now, a few weeks later, she wont start at all. :(
Actually, thats not true, I had her cranked one time, then found a nice large pool of oil in the garage.
trying to figure out if I should get a rebuilt engine, a new turnkey engine, or try to find the time to rebuild this one myself.
I'm bummed now though, cause I wont be riding for a while...

nothing to lose, pull the heads, work your way down and maybe not that bad, sounds like a dropped valve or rod bearing though

Keep an eye out on craigs list, may find an engine there, but after a couple of bad deals Ive had be sure if you cannot hear it run at least be sure it turns over good, if not dont walk RUN away

I feel your pain... I was able to ride mine once before the rear seal blew oil all over my friend behind me. When my friend and I got the rear seal out we found that the case was bad. Now I'm in process of rebuilding my engine.
It did take 2 cases before I found a good one that I can work with.

I feel your pain... I was able to ride mine once before the rear seal blew oil all over my friend behind me. When my friend and I got the rear seal out we found that the case was bad. Now I'm in process of rebuilding my engine.
It did take 2 cases before I found a good one that I can work with.

Ahh! That sucks. I'm not sure of the extent of my damage, but I plan on pulling the engine soon. I may decide to just buy one, but for now just planning on seeing what I can find.
Good luck with yours!

the left rear cylinder has always been natorious for dropping a valve. * thats the one closest to the driver*. If there is oil on the floor you may have holed the block but thats pretty rare. The good things about the VW engine is that they are easier to sort out than an MC engine is.
I built and rebuilt a boat load of engines while stationed in Germany years ago. One of those " 1 man can do easy jobs" and as a rule i'd guess that you coule have it yanked out, torn down and if parts avail all back in in something over a weekend OR less.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poorhouse

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poorhouse
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png