Looking for your advice

I'm a new member and I think this site is awesome! I'm going to be triking my 2008 Wing in the spring. I'm going with Roadsmith, but I have a general question concerning "floorboards" on Gold Wing trikes. They seem most popular for Wings, but not Harley trikes. Why is that? I'm on the fence about the looks of the lower bodywork on a Wing, and can't make up my mind if I want them or not. Also, can they be added later? Looking for thoughts from this group on the pluses and minuses. Do they make it harder for the passenger to get on and off the bike? Let me have it.
Thanks for your help!

welcome S.A. I'm at the complete opposite end of NY state, on LI. There are a couple of members up in the Buffalo area also. Having an H-D Tri-Glide, I'm afraid I can't help you with any of your questions, but I say built it as you like it.

welcome S.A. I'm at the complete opposite end of NY state, on LI. There are a couple of members up in the Buffalo area also. Having an H-D Tri-Glide, I'm afraid I can't help you with any of your questions, but I say built it as you like it.

welcome aboard glad you joined us.

Welcome Straight Arrow! I have a Motortrike kit with aqua shields (running boards).I got them because I like the look,but you have to decide that for yourself.I was told that it would be cheaper to do it all at one time because of matching the paint and labor to do it later.No problems getting on and off.Good Luck RIDE SAFE:GL1800:

Welcome aboard S A. I have 09 RSV Hannigan with the floorboards. It does give the bike a nice appearance: but I believe it's a personal choice. As far as the passenger, it shouldn't be a problem mounting. I rode on the bike of my trike. No problems getting on. Just stand on the board, and work your way on. The boards can be added later. I believe it should not cost any more. Check the price of the kit, and see what the installation is for the floorboards. I believe that is what you will pay later.

SA, We have an 06 Wing with a CSC conversion with the floorboards. Friend in town has an 05 without the boards. Since heat is not much of an issue on the Wing, I don't think the boards make a difference in that regard. In the rain however, our feet stay dry and the 05 driver & passenger have squishy feet. Your trike, enjoy it the way you like it. Good luck with your conversion & ride safe.

SA, We have 06 wing with Motor Trike kit with floor boards(aqua sheilds) and are glad we had them installed. I also removed the stock foot pegs which lets me be able to move my feet around on the boards and gives me a little more leg room. Good luck with conversion I'm sure you will enjoy the trike either way.

We are having a Motor Trike done in 2 weeks and I ordered the Aqua shields. I liked the looks and my wife has short legs and it makes it easier for her besides they are weight bearing boards as are those on the Roadsmith. I also thought that they would help keeping the rain off as well as rocks etc.

A friend of ours has a Roadsmith with the weight bearing boards and hit a semi tire tread. It was a big piece on the interstate and he didn't see it in time to avoid it at night.Any way it was laying across his lane and he hit it square on. And the piece of tread came up and broke both boards. They were not tore off the bike but they were broken in several places.

We all feel if it wasn't for the boards that could have been their legs. So that's when I added the extra safety factor into it all.

Hope you will enjoy your trike. We can't wait
Doug

Another plus for the Boards is for long legs just take off your pegs and you get an extra inch. I can shift and brake no problem with my feet on the Boards, plus I can slide them forward or back for a varies position.

I have weight bearing boards on my GL1800 trike and would not be without them.
They make the ride very comfortable (I too have removed the driver foot pegs), make getting on and off easier, keep debris from chipping the paint, keep your feet out from under the rear tires, and look good.

The particular kit I have (a hannigan .... whom I would 'not' recommend to anyone) has the front of the boards fully faired so it's warmer in winter ...... but also unfortunately 'much' warmer in summer too.
Also ....... this 'fully faired' style makes getting at the plugs a much more difficult task as they are in the way of removing the covers, and consequently the boards must be removed to do service that requires the spark plug/valve covers to be removed.

When you look at adding the boards, it's good to also comprehend these type of things, and weigh if they are a deal breaker or not for you.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png