Built yourself or bought..

Jan 29, 2009
Lewiston NY
Just curious how many have done their own conversions as opposed to having them done at a shop ? I hope this hasn't been discussed before...I did a search but with no luck.

Very good thread indeed. As far as I know, we haven't ask that before. Mine was built and sitting on the Honda dealer showroom floor when it was bought new. I'm the second owner..

I had my Fat Boy triked after riding it on 2 wheel for some years, but I didn't do the work myself. Had it done by an experienced builder.

I found Factories now are just selling to Dealer's, maybe you could get one from a Dealer. Champion Trikes will sell outright to you, thats from my own experience.

tis, In my case, after doing the research, I decided on Motor Trike. As they won't sell direct, I found a dealer who had a Trog kit and was down on his luck, and bought the kit from them.

Bought mine used at Americade from the owner of DFT Trikes . It was his wife's personal Trike. Had no intention at the time . Good deal, Nice trike , low miles and Honey loved it . OH and I had my American Express CARD with me. :p

Just curious how many have done their own conversions as opposed to having them done at a shop ? I hope this hasn't been discussed before...I did a search but with no luck.

I know that a few (very few due to liability concerns) trike kit makers will sell direct to the public to do thier own conversion work. Now as far as true build your own trikes, I have seen many. Check out a trike-in sposnored by Brothers Of The Third Wheel - plenty of home-built trikes at those events. Never been to a TRI event, may be some there, too, but judging fromo the website they're mainly motocycle conversions. Homebuilts seem to be mostly VW based, but I have seen Fieros, 3 wheelers with Corvair or even 6's and 8cylinder engines, even a Toronado made into a trike. The Toronado had the front end to the firewall as the rear of the trike, with a motorcycle type frame, steering and 16 inch wheel in front. The rear of the trike was well fibergalssed to make a good looking rear end with back-up, tail lights and signals. Even had a trunk. It was very well engineered and finished. At the same event someone had a VW based homebuilt made with wood and diamond plate screwed togather and bolted on a home made frame - I wondered how the welds held togather. Didn't want to be within 20 of that one when it was started up!

So it seems that the conversion builders are afraid someone will install their product wrong and they would get sued. I can see it happening. I just hate the thought of paying someone to do something I could do myself ( ya, Im cheap..lol )

lfd1,
Yup, that's what I believe they are afraid of, the good old lawsuit. In my case, while I liked the Champion kit (and they do sell direct) I liked the M/T better. Wasn't hard to find a dealer to sell me a kit either, at a good price too. I'm sure I have no warantee, but that fact has never bothered me. The install itself (my first bike to trike conversion) was straight forward, and no problems. I did get the reverse kit from Champion, and I love that little deal! Personally, I think that M/T is missing some sales on their 'dealer only' policy. The kit (as listed on their website) is 7995. I talked with several M/T installers and they were all around 12-13K installed.

Thanks all, Im still a bit away, but if a killer deal on a bike should fall in my lap, who knows....Sounds like I should try to hit some rallys and do some test rides..

I had mine built by Hatfield Motorsports. My insurance company wouldn't cover any "home built" trikes. I love the ILS feature of the CSC. Since I wanted that kit and they won't sell directly to civilians, I looked for the best installer in the midwest. Pete Hatfield had the best reputation and most respect, not only from his customers but also from other trike forum members.

In Ohio the dept of motor vehicles told me they did not need to change the registration, as it was just a modification of my existing Fat Boy. And my insurance company also considered the trike kit, in effect, an accessory (like adding more chrome or new pipes, etc.) and only changed our policy to reflect the added value of the champion kit.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png