building a trike roof

For a VW trike at least. Dont know about other trikes.

My reason for having a roof over our trike were several. I’d thought about it for some time. The Panthers shape welcomed it. My need for practicality but also to be different. Then my new wife began to suffer with the wind force giving her neck pain with her arthritis. The plan began, the drawings endless.

A couple of the drawings

img049.jpg

This roof had to be “right” or not at all. Judging by your repsonses to my pictures, the paparazzi when we stop at towns and others from other clubs- it seems certain the design is a success. So what was involved?
Firstly our Oz designed Panther trike from Gosford in NSW an hour north of Sydney has its body raised from the front of the riders seat. Any roof had to allow this to continue without obstruction.

IMG_0017-1.jpg

The roof would need to be high enough to seat a 6 foot tall person in the rear seat. If my wife was ever going to get her bike license then I’d be a passenger (on the rare occasion!) and I’m near that height. But any higher and it could appear top heavy and lose the quasi “rod” appearance I eagerly sought. It also could not change the trikes C of G. Extra body roll is barely noticable.

Finally I wanted a sunroof. I didnt want to lose too many traditional trike benefits like the sun when wanted.This addition proved difficult in terms of size. Finally I found one. It was made of the desirable canvas, was electrically operated and was of the maximum width I desired. It came from a Mazda 121 called a funtop model here in Oz.

funtop.jpg

I commissioned a local engineer to build the roof frame. He used 4mm alloy 40mm diameter tube. The sunroof assembly weighed 19 kgms (42lb) and I had some initial concern about the overall weight. Everyday I’d drop into the workshop to sight progress and advise of changes I wanted. After 12 months of designing I knew the look I was after.
The frame for the sunroof

rooftrike001.jpg

The roof frame taking shape.

H2560002.jpg

One important issue confronted me. How could I secure the roof locking mechanism where it met with the body? My engineer wanted to go the easy route with a simple bolt. I sought out what we call here “patio bolts”

lock.jpg

they are lockable high tensile rods that secure French doors and the like. I later added tray clamps. These items ensure there were no rattles.

H2680004.jpg

The rear window also had problems. The top box lid needed to be raised unobstructed. Hence the window needed to be constructed set inside the roof. The window was made big enough to allow for a European sized chrome plastic number plate frame.

H2620020.jpg

H2940004-Copy3.jpg

H2940009.jpg

The rear of the roof frame would hinge on the engine protection bar. This bar is thin alloy. After a few weeks riding the bar cracked where it bolted under the engine. My engineer easily strengthened that bar area and it hasn’t been an issue since.
The weight of the roof in total is 48 kgms (100lb). The fabric used is Mercedes convertible cloth. I purchased 3 metres of it (2 metres width). What about badges?
I Googled Panther and found a number of possible badges. The badge of the Carolina Panthers was perfect and I purchased a couple of boot stickers. I bought two zero alloy house numbers from a hardware store and made these:

H2180001.jpg

I added the largest windscreen I could find in Oz. 800mm wide by 900mm high. This took care of most of the wind attacking the roof. Wing fairings would assist in minimising lower wind and feet fairings would cut wind there. I’m still experimenting but am happy with the results so far. I used 6mm Perspex. 4.5mm cracked easily. One thing leads to another and I’ll need a wiper and demister. I used a 12 volt hairdryer for a demister but as I’m going to have good heating from the twin small radiators soon I think I’ll channel hot air upwards….another project there.
The roof was powdercoated covered and fixed. To detach it is easy by removing the two rear hinging bolts and later, when connected, the 8 wires to the sunroof mechanism. I’ve been too busy to connect the sunroof up but can open the sunroof by allen key.
The trike is really comfortable to ride. Minimal wind on you and my wife is in the best place, no rain reaches her. Ready for our around the country trip in a few years time.

The youtube site at the bottom shows the roof in its glory.

100_0438.jpg

IMG_00202.jpg

IMG_0023-1.jpg

cool looking beast bro, looks like all the waiting and work was worth it and it sounds like your more than happy with it so ride on brother. nice job

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger in NH

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger in NH
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png