First ride report. 2012 Tri-Glide

Nov 28, 2011
Fostoria Ohio USA
Once again, thanks for all the information this site has to offer, thanks to all of you!
So yesterday was the day of the first ride on the trike. With much excitement I made sure I had transfered all the needed items from the other bike to the trike, like rain suits, tools etc.
I went to put on the plates and the bolts wouldn't tighten all the way down to hold them tight! (?) Not a problem! I can handle it!
Temperature was a cool mid 40's so bundled with much anticipation of the "First Ride".
Checked that I had in fact loaded up the music into the CD player and turned it on to adjust the volume etc. Off it went then because today I am going to listen and enjoy the sound of a twin cam motor as tight as it will ever be, nothing like a new steed purring (rumbling) awaiting for the time to roll out the throttle and grab the gears.
The garage door was raised, the black beauty was fired up and let idle for a short moment. The area was checked for anything blocking the exit that may catch those wide flanks, gave myself the all clear, tightened up the helmet strap and pulled the gloves on tight...This is it! lets go baby...
I swung my leg over the trike, got off and put a foot on the floorboard then swung my leg over again and thought, Jim whats the best way to get on and off this trike? Thought again, don't worry you will figure it out. Lets just go!!
I remembered how to use reverse, checked from the saddle the area one more time to make sure it was all clear so I wouldn't scratch the fenders, pressed the reverse button and... the trike didn't move!
Then it hit me like the look on Mona's face when I do something stupid, I slowly reached down and released the parking brake and looked around again, good no one was around to see what I just did and I am the only one who will ever know it happened.
I backed out of the garage and stopped, put it in 1st, pulled forward, stopped, reverse again, 1st pull forward, reverse one more time, 1st and woho here we go!
I got the the driveways end, stopped and checked traffic, turned right, used up most of the left side of the road and was on my way!!!
Took another right and just about stayed in my lane for the whole turn. I'm going to get this turning thing down I told myself.
Taking the back way out of town. Getting used to the handling of the trike. Stopped at the first stop sign, put my feet down on the ground, put them back on the floorboards and started off.
Two blocks later I pull into a empty parking lot, get out my air shock pump, pull off the side cover, unscrew and drop the valve cap, lower the 40 lbs of pressure I had put in the night before to 15 lbs, crawled around under the trike looking for the valve stem cap, cussed at it, then found it where it had rolled behind the trike. Buttoned up the side cover and away I go, oh wait I left the brake on again, its OK I can handle it!
Stop sign, left turn and this time I meant the cross to the outside lane so all is good.
The next section of road was quite a mess with the uneven pavement so got to experience the trike "rolling" side to side. Its OK, no problem its a trike and I know its going to handle different. Wondered to myself, self, whats Mona going to say about this the first time? No worry shes been behind me for thousands of miles and hasn't complained yet, unless I didn't stop at the rest area like she asked.
Right turn onto a highway, extra effort turning right because someone else was using the left lane and was willing to hit the new trike if I got in his way, yup this turning thing is coming to me.
The highway is loaded with gentle sweeping curves, both left and right, so I was looking forward to meeting them all in the next few minutes. Approaching the first right hander I slowed down, downshifted and steered, not leaned, though the corner, see I have learned from all of you! I sweeped though the corner at a roaring 35 mph and stayed in my lane! I can really handle this!
The next 15 minutes I practiced riding in the roadway first middle then off center to the left, then the right all the while checking side to side to see where the fenders are so as to not cross the center line. Glad once no one was coming at me because I looked over my left shoulder and drove over the centerline. I can handle this, and not get ran over.
Another of my favorite turns, Left, and within a few minutes find myself sitting in the parking lot at work, calling all my Buddy's out to come and see the trike. All of them show up, leaving the factory without any maintenance men, yes I am a maintenance mechanic.
I answer one question a million times as they meander out of the plant and towards the trike, is that a machine gun or an umbrella? I explain to these highly knowledgeable men that its an umbrella in case it rains and they all seem happy with that explanation.
I'm ready to go, all my Buddy's waiting to see me ride off, but first want to see the reverse so I start up the trike, put it in reverse and... release the umbrella.
Its on to a family dinner, lots of my uncles sharing their story's of adventure and daring do while growing up. The grandkids climbing all over the trike and me dreaming of taking them on lots of road trips on it. It was a good time but now its time for more riding!!
I load up the mini van for the wife, get on the gear, say my goodbyes and take off.. wait release the parking brake and take off!
The trip home I was feeling really great and comfortable on the trike, corners came and went without me slowing down for them, swear I was back on 2 wheels a couple times, the swaying of the trike, telling me "I'm here for you Jim" and giving me the first bits of information I'll acquire in the next few years as we mold our selfs, and Mona, into a fine tuned man and machine, capable of great feats and great times on the road, exploring places we have never been and places we need to be.
Another left turn and I see the driveway. Hmm I tell myself, self if you pull in kinda straight then back into the garage you can make a quick getaway next time.. As I'm backing into the garage I'm wondering if using the reverse for more then a quick backup from a parking spot, if it will overheat it or something. I'll figure it out. I get off and open the garage door, get back on and, yup you guessed it start, stop, release the brake and back it into the garage. I swing off the trike after shutting it down and tell myself what a great day this has been........
Jim

Not a Harley person,but congrats. enjoy it, take your time learning to ride it.
REMEMBER WHEN PULLING IN UP TO A GAS PUMP THAT YOU ARE WIDER THEN YOU USE TO BE,YOU DO NOT WANT TO HIT ONE OF THOSES POST.
Another thing is if you do not have floor boards be sure to keep your feet up on your floor boards,there have been people who didn,t and got their foot caught underneath the back wheel,not a good thing.
Recomend you run your back tire at between 18 and 22 lbs.
Have fun and MERRY CHIRSTMASS AND A HAPPY AND SAFE NEW YEAR.
ThumbUpThumbUpThumbUpThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png