Aftermarket cruise control

Nov 16, 2011
Jacksonville Beach
Have been looking at throttle cruise control like the Crampbuster. Anyone have one on their trike? I know it's pretty simple and not sure how easy to use or reliable. Any thoughts or alternatives? I have a VS800 Suzuki/Lehman. Thanks.

The owner of this trike, essentially the same as your's, had one of the original Throttle Rockers that attached with velcro. Easy installation and got approx. 7 yrs. usage before the velcro gave out and the throttle rocker fell off.

Owner was very happy with it, never a problem while it lasted, simple thumb palm push roll-on. Throttle return spring allows normal throttle roll-off.

Guess the newer ones like Crampbuster and even some of the newer Throttle Rockers are a simple slip on/slip off friction fitment and should be just fine ThumbUp

On the Harley, I have an old-style Throttle Rocker, and the wide Crampbuster on the Goldwing trike. Crampbuster comes in wide, original width and long original width versions. The old style Throttle Rocker is just like the Crampbuster, single piece plastic that wraps around the grip. For those that don't know, push down and it tightens up on the grip as you twist the throttle, but it can be rotated up and around out of the way. The new version of the Throttle Rocker isn't a wrap around thing, it has velcro to attach it to the grip. I had one, and for me, I found that the velcro let the Rocker creep over time and was hard to adjust. Gave it away and got the Crampbuster. I also have one for the left grip I put on on long trips to take some of the pressure off the hand. It isn't a true cruise control, but a throttle assist - you must keep your hand on the grip, but much more relaxed.

To directly answer your question, they work great for me,it's very easy to use once you get used to it. Really nothing to fail on it if you get the one for your size grips. Comes in 2 sizes - a larger size for HD grips and normal size for just about every thing else. There are other mechanical cruise controls available, but for about $10 you can't go too far wrong with any model of the Crampbuster.

Brakeaway I have use throtle boss on a Vulcan and Crampbuster on my wing, but the Breakaway is a lot closer to a true cruse control. Works great with the limitation of understanding it does not compensate for going up or down hills. It releases by eather a thumb push or touching your front brake.

Thanks for the great comments.

I'm really impressed by what I've read about the Brakeaway, really nice. But $200 vs a $10 Crampbuster? Well, I like new shiny things, so maybe I'll save some spare change and get the Brakeaway.

Meanwhile, think I'll get a Crampbuster and give it to the neighbor when I can swing the upgrade. :cool:

Big difference is with cramp buster you still need to keep the heel of your hand on the bars pushing. Brake way is like a dead man throttle, your right hand is free to flap in the wind. It holds your throttle at the position it was locked to, it releases with a push of your thumb or touching the front brake.

Have you looked at the Sound Off Throttle Control? I bought one to replace the original throttle control on my 82 GW trike and it works very well. Cost about $30.00. Easy to install - slips over the handlebar just forward of the throttle and aft of the kill switch.

Got mine at local M/C parts house but here's link that has photo of a similiar one: Motorcycle Superstore - Search

Interesting. I took a look at the Sound Off Universal Vista and seems it would fit my trike just fine. Read some user reviews complaining about the piece running from the throttle to the handlebar being over the ignition cutoff.

From the web pictures, it looks like the little bar could be easily rotated counter clockwise a little to rest between the cutoff and starter button and still have easy access to all thumb controls. Haven't seen one in person yet so can't be sure.

Biggest pain looks like moving the front brake cylinder a little further ahead on the handlebar to make room for the other clamp, which obviously moves the brake lever forward as well. My lever is full grip length, so probably makes no difference.

Couple of bike shops not far from me so will try to see one this weekend. The price is right. Good call. :)

Sometimes I want to rest my hand and not engage the throttle lock on my 900 Vulcan cruiser. So finally broke down and bought the $11.95 Cramp-Buster yesterday.

My first thought was that this thing is just in the way - not enough room on the grip for my hand with it on there too - can't wait to take it off - glad I didn't spend more for it.

Then I got on down the road and the right heel of my palm just naturally rested on it... end of story...love it! :)

We got one for Jim-Paws' Suzuki Boulevard C50 too. Don't need one for the GW trike thanks to the nice electronic cruise control - yet.. Carla-Paws

I use the simplest and most inexpensive throttle lock there is. A 1 1/4" diameter rubber o-ring placed between the rubber throttle grip and the metal switch housing. It provides just enough friction to hold the throttle open to the desired speed but not so much that you cant easily crank the throttle off at will. Its also easier on the wrist as you dont have to hold it in place. You can get these at any auto parts house for around 50 cents. They normally have a plastic box full of various sizes behind the counter and you can try one for fitment before you buy it most places.

We have a crampbuster wide on the GL1800. Even though the built in cruise control works well, the crampbuster is nice when I am going along for a time at a constant speed but may have to accelerate or slow down at a moments notice. Going through cities on the interstate in traffic comes to mind, May go for miles and miles at a constant speed but instant throttle control is needed.

happy new years ! i use one on both side , been using them for 3 years with no problems, like others have said you can adjust them. have a great year and ride safe !!!

Decisions, decisions. Ready to order a control unit and here comes Smokin'JOE with a link to the GoCruise at Fasteddysports. Looks like an good alternative to the Crampbuster. At $20 the price is right.

For now I think I'll try the Sound Off VISTA throttle control, $30 on Amazon. (thanks to Calman and model28a for that tip). Who knows, might try a couple and gift the ones I don't keep.

Have been looking at throttle cruise control like the Crampbuster. Anyone have one on their trike? I know it's pretty simple and not sure how easy to use or reliable. Any thoughts or alternatives? I have a VS800 Suzuki/Lehman. Thanks.

I've been using the Vista Cruise on my bikes for years. Best poor mans cruise control I've found so far. Not much good going up and down grades, but will allow me to relax my hand on the flats. ThumbUp

Vista Cruise Universal Cruise Control - Metric Cruisers with 1 inch Bars

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I am satisfied with the function of the thumbwheel on my HD's, but it just isn't comfortable for my thumb to continuously work the wheel back and forth (and almost impossible with heavy gloves on). I recently purchased this neat little 'ThrottleMate' to try. Haven't used it yet but it looks just like the gadget that will solve my cruise control needs. Simple and effective and only cost about $16 shipped (on eBay).

loner-albums-loner-s-trikes-picture6679-throttle-mate.jpg

loner-albums-loner-s-trikes-picture6680-throttlemate-hda.jpg

I had that similar item on my 1980 Wing. It is a throttle lock not cruise control. Be careful you can forget it is on and if you need to stop quickly it hampers your braking distance.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png