CSC Drive Shafts

Feb 2, 2010
Okla.
Has anyone heard about CSC telling dealers to weld the splines together on the Honda trikes?
Did you do it, or did you not do it?:confused:

This is true. I am getting a new CSC CobraXL kit installed and the shafts are to be welded together by the installer. If you bring your bike (CSC Trike) in to an authorized CSC Installer, you can get it welded and a year warrenty added. This is what my Installer told me:)

Thanks
Randall

Well it is true. I talked to CSC Tech Monday and they are recommending and incouraging that you let the authorized dealer look at the drive line and weld it if there is play. I have taken mine in and left it to them. The world is definately changing around us.:AGGHH:

I too talked to CSC today, and was told that they have only experienced about a 06% failure with the drive shafts they recommend welding them. So I am going to get it done. Not really comfortable with this, but as CSC told me; the alternative if the splines sheared off is stranded on the side of the road, As we do most of our traveling long distance and at night, not a pleasant thought.CSC's position is it's not mandatory, but highly recommended.:Shrug:

My driveshaft stripped out completely. CSC sent a new shaft and told the dealer to get it welded. There was only 39000 on the conversion and the drive shaft had been serviced at the CSC factory in Virginia @ 27000 miles.

In July last year my splines sheared and spoke with CSC who kindly sent a new set of course I paid the shipping. If they have to be welded who on earth will do this over in the UK? I was stranded when it happened and do not want it to go again. When it did happen there was 22000 on the clock............

I went by the Trike shop today, where my CSC Trike is being built, and ask about the drive shaft welding thing. They showed the shaft parts to me and explained what they were going to do and how they would have to do it. It has to be put in place and then welded. To get the shaft off after it is welded is another story. You would have to unbolt the kit and slide it back to give room to remove the shaft. There is no maintenance to be done on it after it is welded...This is a permenant fix:)

Thanks
Randall

I also talked to CSC Tech. service today and he informed me that the weld fix is for mid year 2007 and newer. Does not sound like a very well thought out repair. You're having the tailshaft on the GW welded to the CSC driveshaft and what effect does this have on the GW transmission warranty. I believe I would have to say BS, come up with a repair that is more inline with the 12k to 15k I'm spending or have spent on your conversion. Is CSC going to pick up the additional labor charge if you need to replace a tailshaft seal and you now have to seperate the conversion from the bike to gain access? I apologize in advance if I'm in error on these assumptions, but a fifty cent weld could end up being $$$$$$$$$$$.

Randall, did the shop who triked your wing have any reservations at all with the csc kit? I like the csc but have a few reservations with all this about the drive shaft, what was the feeling you got from the trike makers?

Randall, did the shop who triked your wing have any reservations at all with the csc kit? I like the csc but have a few reservations with all this about the drive shaft, what was the feeling you got from the trike makers?

No reservations at all. In fact he does Champions as well. He has two trikes for him and his wife. One is a CSC and the other is a Champion. I had reservations about the driveshaft, but he convinced me it would not be an issue any more ofter welding them together. We talked at length about both and I finally came around to the CSC. I am very happy now, lets just hope I say that a few years down the road...I think I will.

Randall

I have been following this with great interest for several months. I ride an 03 Goldwing with an 09 CSC conversion. So far, I have only a few thousand miles on it and am not probably in any danger of immediate failure.

Other forums have mentioned splines not properly lubricated while others have said that they were greased although I might queston whether they were greased with the proper product. I assume that it is the CSC end that fails only because CSC sends replacement parts. Is this the case? Is it the CSC end that shears? If so, why? Industry has used spline couplings for decades without thses problems.

I am not in favor of just welding the shaft. As another person stated, it the axis are not in perfect alignment, the shaft will wobble, That puts loads on the transmission output bearing and the intermediate transmission input bearing that should not be there.

This spring, I will pull the shaft as part of my preseason maintenance. I will clean it, inspect it and lube it with the Moly 52 paste recommended by CSC.

Maybe I am missing something here, but it seems that with the proper steel, proper machining, proper hardening, proper lubrication and protection from the elements, this thing should outlast the trike. I am not satisfied that the "weld fix" is truely that. Please find the problem and FIX it.

Thank you,

Ken

what the heck is up with that???? shody part to start with????
in my book the spline is means for the shaft change in length for suspension travel an or any other flex that may be going on!!!
i will admit i lost a rear spline on mr max i used the stock yamaha spline and didnt get the seal installed properly and lost splines due to rust.... redid the seal and added a grease fitting no problem in about 50 k any one give a reason why this is happening??

I have been following this with great interest for several months. I ride an 03 Goldwing with an 09 CSC conversion. So far, I have only a few thousand miles on it and am not probably in any danger of immediate failure.

Other forums have mentioned splines not properly lubricated while others have said that they were greased although I might queston whether they were greased with the proper product. I assume that it is the CSC end that fails only because CSC sends replacement parts. Is this the case? Is it the CSC end that shears? If so, why? Industry has used spline couplings for decades without thses problems.

I am not in favor of just welding the shaft. As another person stated, it the axis are not in perfect alignment, the shaft will wobble, That puts loads on the transmission output bearing and the intermediate transmission input bearing that should not be there.

This spring, I will pull the shaft as part of my preseason maintenance. I will clean it, inspect it and lube it with the Moly 52 paste recommended by CSC.

Maybe I am missing something here, but it seems that with the proper steel, proper machining, proper hardening, proper lubrication and protection from the elements, this thing should outlast the trike. I am not satisfied that the "weld fix" is truely that. Please find the problem and FIX it.

Thank you,

Ken

I believe it is the Honda end that is the problem. Apparantly this part of the shaft is made with a softer metal than the csc part. I just wonder how the new shaft is performing?

:gah:
I went by the Trike shop today, where my CSC Trike is being built, and ask about the drive shaft welding thing. They showed the shaft parts to me and explained what they were going to do and how they would have to do it. It has to be put in place and then welded. To get the shaft off after it is welded is another story. You would have to unbolt the kit and slide it back to give room to remove the shaft. There is no maintenance to be done on it after it is welded...This is a permenant fix:)

Thanks
Randall

:gah::mad:
Do you realize the consequences in the "never" having to service the drive shaft again means?????????
you can no longer GREASE the shaft on the kit NOR your bike.
The weld is a CHEAP FIX for CSC & for them to even think we consumers should accept that they have another thing coming.

they have re-engineered the shaft this year & all trike conversions (regardless of year) will get the new drive shaft. Everyone else is stuck w/ the "fix" which will cause damage somewhere else...engine ect.. & at the cost of who?? the consumer!!
We know ours about sheerd off as well!!! fighting w/ them now.

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png