Thinking of getting a trike

flyswatter

60+ Posts
Dec 27, 2011
Pana, IL
Been thinking about getting a trike for a couple of years. Found this site yesterday and joined hoping to learn more about trikes and thier owners.

Looking forward to many fact filled threads.

The first thing you should consider is the installer,ask around and see what other people have to say.
I have a 96 1500 with a 06 lehman kit and have had absoluity no problems,but if I was going to kit a new 1800 I think I would go with a hanngan.
It has independent rear suppesion and they have a exclent reputaion.
I got to ride a 1800 with a hannagan kit and oh boy did it ride and handle nice.
ThumbUpThumbUpThumbUp

Welcome, Flyswatter! You'll find we love trikes, so we love to talk about 'em :). We don't care what kind of trike you want, we will do our best to help you get your answers and get out on the road! Ask away.

I just sold my 2005 GL1800 with a Roadsmith kit and now I have a 2004 GL1800 with a Champion kit.

2005 Roadsmith, I like the trunk space, large door and lots of room, longest wheel base of all the trike kits I have looked at. IRS axle with disk brakes, nice ride. the back end sticks out past the upper trunk. This kit comes with a permanent trailer hit (it is part of the frame). If you don't get the spare fuel tank then you get some extra storage space. Something to think about before you get it for any trike kit. (some trike builders do not have this option)

2004 Champion, nice looking, according to the spec sheet has more storage space but it does have a smaller door. This model has a solid axle with disk brakes. It rides smooth. It does have some store areas on the sides, (does not have an option for a spare fuel tank) trailer hitch is extra ($220) not as many dealers for this one in my area. The accent panels (running boards) are much smaller in width than most of the others.

Over all I liked the Roadsmith better so far, the biggest reason it the size of the trunk door and how much stuff I can put in it. The running boards for the Roadsmith you can stand on.

I will look for my comparison sheet and post it later on tonight (just have to find out which computer I have it stored on)

Also forgot to add that you would really want to rake it, just keep in mind the higher the degree the easier the turning but in return you have wider turns.
Great topic

:GL1800:

I'm in my 82nd year and have been riding motorcycles since I was 16. We've all gone through different stages of our MC life, dirt, sport, touring, cruising, triking. I converted my 2006 GL1800 to a Roadsmith one year ago and wonder why the heck I didn't do this years ago! I now call it a WingSmith.

Do it - you'll love it! We promise!

The local dealer here has Lehman and CSC. Have ridden both a couple of times on demo rides of just a few miles. I kind of liked the Lehman; however when the SO rode it she did not like the choppy ride when on country roads (which is what we live on). The CSC trike (not to start anything) seem to have drive line issues which concern me to the point of not considering CSC. The two I am most interested in from reading forums and brochures are Roadsmith and Hannigan. Unfortunately there are no close dealers for either.

Purchased my 2003 GL1800 new in Aug. 2002 and have enjoyed riding it. Thinking about selling it and purchasing a used 2005 to 2008 trike. Can't really justify spending $40,000 on a new one when there seem to be several low mileage used ones for a little over 1/2 that price.

Welcome Flyswatter.

U might talk to the installer about the CSC drive line issue to see if they think it had been blown out of proportion or not.

I have had mine about 3 year and knock on wood, no problem yet.

Try to look at the features u want and go from there. The installer is a BIG part of the process. If u get a bad one, u are going to have issues with any brand.

regardless, of the kit u choose I like the following options:
1. Rake/Easy Stear/PowerTrack
2. Aux fuel tank
3. Parking brake
4. Towing pkg
5. Floor Boards/Aqua Shields
6. Vinyl Stone guard

I have some more upgrades but not sure they are worth the cost.

Good luck in your quest.

Welcome to triketalk! This is the right place for info on your future conversion. I have been using Ghost Wheels almost daily for over 5 years, and love them. They hold my bike up when stopped, but allow full 2 wheel riding while riding. They also only add 65 pounds to my bike.

Welcome Flyswater
CSC changed driveline components mid year in 2007 and they did have an issue with the front ujoint. A friend bought a 2010 GW CSC that wasn't upgraded before his purchase, rode it about 5000 miles and noticed a slight vibration. The Honda dealer contacted CSC and they furnished the upgraded parts and paid to have it installed, no problems since. If you have a good installer that will go to bat for you, I think any of the conversion manufacturers will treat you fairly. Reputable dealer, installer being the key. I have an 06 GW CSC and so far have not had any driveline issues. Bought it used and it had the CSC floor boards, wouldn't want one without them. I've added Baker Wings, lower fog lights and a CB. The group we ride with all have the CB and it's a good safety feature for us, not to mention the occasional wise crack that's always good for a laugh. Buy what you like, ride safe.

A parking brake and trailer hitch are <font color="Red"><b>standard</b></font> on the Roadsmith - no add-on cost. The aux. fuel tank is pricey but top me was well worth it - especially if you are going to ride the Blue Ridge or out west where you may not even see another car for hours. I like having almost a 400 mile cruising range.<br />
<br />
Just something else to think about in arriving at a decision. (And many installers will order whichever kit you want.)

Flyswatter, welcome from the Great State of Texas!! We ride an 08 GW 1800 CSC and have had absolutely NO problems with it at all. (Hope I didn't just jinx us!!) We've put over 20K on it in two years and have enjoyed every mile. No auxiliary gas tank; we do carry one extra gallon in its matching trailer but have never needed it for ourselves. Have helped out some buddies, tho. <br />
<br />
Hope you'll join other Illinois members and ride down for the annual Rally in the Valley, fourth weekend in June - it'll be here before you know it!!<br />
<br />
Happy New Year!!

We've got an 07 GW with the CSC kit. Just had it triked last March. We triked it because of my wife's back. I wasn't sure about triking it but we love it. Rode 170 miles on Wednesday and another 113 miles today. :)

Welcome.........if you are not positively sure that you want a trike you might consider one of the many "bolt ons" available. I have a Voyager on a 1500 Kawi Classic and it's pretty good. I've also heard good things about the Trigg kit.

Welcome flyswatter...I stared riding my own in April of 2010 at the age of 65. After a small mishap on my Dyna, I went to the trike in May of 2010. New Street Glide Trike with 7 miles on it. We traded it for a 2012 Triglide in July of 2011, it had 20,000 miles on it. My new Triglide, which I might add, that I am stripping down to look like a SG, has 7000 miles on it. 27,000 miles in 20 months. Harley Davidson is the only way to go! The only mc comany that makes a trike. As you can see, everyone likes their trike on this forum. The only thing for you to do is try to ride several different trikes.

Find what makes you feel good, then "getter done"! Good luck!!!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png