Two Technical Tire/Wheel Questions For The Experts

Oct 25, 2010
CT, USA
Got a technical tire/wheel question for you:

My Roadsmith rig is a 2010 GL1800 under the covers. The current wheels are your stock design --16x7, 5X4.5 with 35 mm offset. Running the standard Kumho Solus tires at 205/65/R16. Standard Dunlop Front Tire/Wheel.

Here are my Two Questions:

1) Will the trike handle differently and do I introduce any risks or fit problems going to the following wheel / tire combo:

Wheels: 16x7, 5X4.5 with 40 or 42 mm offset
Tires: 215/65 or 70 /R16

2) Do you have any thoughts (pro/con) on running a rear motorcycle tire on the front, installed backwards? I'm reading that many people swear by it with stories of improved handling and tire mileage.

Would like your insight before I start to change the set-up.

Thanks!

:GL1800:

I can't speak to the rear tire question but I'd have to say going with the Bridgestone BT-45 in reverse rotation made a big difference in my '06 with the MotorTrike Adventure conversion. I only have a little over 10,000 miles on since the conversion and tire swap but I'm seeing almost no ware and the trike handles really well. It took a couple weeks for the matching custom front rim to come in so I did get some time with the old OEM tire. The BT-45 bites the road better so it holds corners.

I read a couple recommendations directly from the tire companies telling us to mount their rear tire on the front in reverse rotation so I just don't see a safety issue and the ware factor appears to be doing very well....

Got a technical tire/wheel question for you:

My Roadsmith rig is a 2010 GL1800 under the covers. The current wheels are your stock design --16x7, 5X4.5 with 35 mm offset. Running the standard Kumho Solus tires at 205/65/R16. Standard Dunlop Front Tire/Wheel.

Here are my Two Questions:

1) Will the trike handle differently and do I introduce any risks or fit problems going to the following wheel / tire combo:

Wheels: 16x7, 5X4.5 with 40 or 42 mm offset
Tires: 215/65 or 70 /R16

2) Do you have any thoughts (pro/con) on running a rear motorcycle tire on the front, installed backwards? I'm reading that many people swear by it with stories of improved handling and tire mileage.

Would like your insight before I start to change the set-up.

Thanks!

:GL1800:

Please educate me: what are your perceived benefits in changing from the standard Roadsmith tires?

As for the tire to be used on the front, many (including me) use the Michelin Pilot Activ (MPA) mounted backwards. I've used that setup since last February and am well pleased.

I have the same rear tire setup you do. IMO, The only problem will be fender clearance as removing tire is already a magic act. The greater offset and wider tire may not fit under the stock fender. Personally, my tires have handled well in all conditions and types of roads. They have great traction and are very quiet. Per factory, run 28-30 psi in rears.

I also run Michelin Pilot Activ on the front and love it. I'm experimenting with pressure and currently running at 37 psi. When fully loaded and riding two-up will run 41 psi. The Dunlop you are now running, if stock front tire, will not last long. Absolutely yes on rake. Road Smith uses the 5.5 degree rake.

Stock tires are mediocre quality...Fine, standard tire. But, sport models are a bit stickier. If you pull off a bit quick from a stop, with a powerful bike like the GL1800, you spin/even smoke the rears. But, I do think you can get a sport tires in the standard size and use a spacer to make up for the offset.

BTW -- Doug at TrikeShop / Roadsmith tells me; "The slightly larger 215 or 70 series tire will reduce your rpm a little and very slightly affect you speedometer. It will read a little slower, but barely noticeable."

But, no mention of fender fit issue. I can ask that question, the next time we speak.

I have ran a mich m50 rear and get 30000 miles out of it and i change it not because its worn but just to feel safe --a buddy has 43000 on his and is going to run it this year also still has alot of tread and looks great --he rides more than me --and he runs it with 36 lbs in it !!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png