handicap trike

Dec 29, 2011
kingdom city Mo
I am a quadrapaligic since 2009 and have just now got to the point that i can move my arms well enough to ride again is there anybody out there that do these conversions i have a 2006 kingpin thank in advance for your help bulldozer

Welcome to TrikeTalk, Bulldozer! I'm impressed you've made that progress in regaining movement. How exciting for you! We have a number of members who have had changes made to their trikes to assist a disabled rider. I'm sure they will pitch in here with ideas for you.

Welcome to the site Bulldozer. I have seen a couple of time over the years sidecar frames converted for a wheelchair to roll right up on them with steering and controls transferred over with some kind of tie rods assemblies.

My Harley dealer in South Eastern Ohio has converted his two trikes to hand controls. He built my trike and also Nana's and is very competent and reliable. If you would like to speak with him shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with his phone number. Even if you don't want him to do the work he can probably steer you in the right direction for what would work well for your needs. He has no use of his legs but you'd never know it when he's on that trike!!!

I am a quadrapaligic since 2009 and have just now got to the point that i can move my arms well enough to ride again is there anybody out there that do these conversions i have a 2006 kingpin thank in advance for your help bulldozer

welcome aboard congrats on your progress

I'm missing both legs below knee from going under a freight train while working when I was 20.

I have a 2006 HD 1200 Sportster trike that has a kliktronic shifter and front and rear brakes are both tied into the front brake lever. I still need left hand strength for pulling the clutch lever and some strength to pull the brake lever and some precise dexterity to thumb shift the kliktronic shifter.

I do know that if you want it bad enough and do the research to see what set up will suit you best, it can be done.

I've seen trikes from time to time on ebay that have wheelchair hoists on them and that have been modified for a rider with disability. I haven't seen one on there for a while though.

Good luck with getting it done.

David

Welcome to triketalk bulldozer. I adapted my road glide for.my polio issues using Ghost Wheels and Kliktronic shifter. I had done lots of research. Feel free to email. Congrats on your progress!

Kliktronic k twin brake levers,replacin rear foot brake have certainly improved ride experience.As would kliktronics gear shifter,raking front forks would ease cornering if causing issues.Good luck in finding your adapted choice.

I am also a HK amputee. Have no left leg at all. I ride a goldwing with a Lehman trike kit on it. I built an air over electric gear shifter for my trike. This is the second trike it has been on. Total cost of building it was 800.00 dollars at the time. Did not know if electric or air shifters existed at the time. Mine is 15 years old and only renewed the air compressor which was old at the time. Works fantasdtic and when I purchase a new trike will transfer it to the new one

Hello Bulldozer - Last week I saw a GW that had been converted with an air shifter and handbrake. It was being serviced by the folks at Honda, Suzuki of Jackson - 1-800-646-8288. If you call and ask for the service manager, Mike, he may be able to offer some help. I also have heard a lot of good reports on the builder that Greydog mentioned. I commend your spirit and determination, Good luck,

Hey Bull Dozer,
I know that feeling of envy when you see others ride and that determination that wells up insde you when all you desire is the wind in your hair and that feeling of just riding....Man I can get lost in that thought!
I lost my right arm back in 1985 and never thought I would ride again. As time rolled on and I started seeing trikes around and had some great friends who pointed out that I could ride a trike somehow, I decided to give it a try. I ended up getting a great deal on a 2002 Suzuki Intruder 1500.I also bought a used voyeger kit that someone took of thier HD Fatboy.I had it put it on after adapting it with a stonger bellyplate then it had.
It sat for about year as we tried diffent things and finally a really talented friend of mine who has built custom bikes,cars,street rods etc etc. had this idea of mounting a cable driven throttle (out of a dune buggy) on the left floor board. So the clutch is on the left hand and we tied the brakes togeathfer with a accuating valve.
Man is it great!The only complaint I have is that I live in Montana and have to park it about mid October or freeze .
The plan was to upgrade to a newer trike after a couple years to make sure that I like riding . I will most likley put a batwing fairing on this year,adapt some Harly saddle bags, paint it, and a trunk so my wife can lean against something as we head to Strugis, and where ever the road takes us.
So my point in rambling on is I really congratulate you on your effort. Dont give up and know the end does justify the means in this case.
Good Luck and God bless,Onewing

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png