May: Women Riders' Month

Juju

Contributing Member
Aug 29, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I know this is, in part, a marketing move for HD, but it's still kind of cool.

Harley-Davidson Declares May Women Riders' Month
February 9, 2009
Milwaukee, WI - This May the rumble from those April showers will continue a little longer as thousands of female riders will be hitting the open road to celebrate the first-ever Women Riders' Month.

Throughout the month of May, Harley-Davidson is staging a series of events designed to celebrate the number of women who have already hit the open road on two wheels, as well as encourage even more women to get behind the handlebars. Two of the larger Harley-Davidson Women Riders Month initiatives include:

Activities for the 3rd Annual International Female Ride Day on Friday, May 1, 2009, which was founded by Vicki Gray of Motoress.com. The day celebrates women of all ages who take life by the handlebars by encouraging them to ride. Harley-Davidson plans to stage special rides in New York City and Milwaukee to commemorate International Female Ride Day. Harley-Davidson dealerships, subsidiaries and suppliers across the world have been encouraged to plan rides in their areas.

Encouraging 100,000 women to learn to ride either by taking the Harley-Davidson® Rider’s Edge® New Rider Course or the Motorcycle Safety Foundation® (MSF) Basic RiderCourse™ training program. Several Rider’s Edge New Rider Courses and MSF Basic RiderCourses are scheduled for the first weekend of May. To kick-off this initiative, a Guinness World Record will be set for the number of women motorcycle riders trained in one weekend during the first weekend of May. For information on the Rider’s Edge New Rider Course or a MSF Basic RiderCourse visit your local Harley-Davidson dealership or log on to Rider's Edge or Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

"Women have been enjoying the sport of motorcycling for the last century," said Leslie Prevish, women’s outreach manager, Harley-Davidson. "In the past two decades, we’ve seen a dramatic increase in number of women embrace the sport. By declaring May as Women Riders Month, we’re honoring all of the women who enjoy the freedom and adventure found in taking control of their own handlebars.”

In the past 20 years, the percentage of women who have purchased new Harley-Davidson motorcycles has tripled, with women now accounting for nearly 12 percent of new Harley-Davidson motorcycle purchases.

“We know there are thousands of women who are interested in the sport, but aren’t sure where to start,” said Prevish. “We are encouraging women to learn how to ride a motorcycle to increase the women rider community and help them along their journey.”

During Women Riders Month, the Motor Company also plans to showcase several other programs it has designed specifically for women, including:

Harley-Davidson dealerships will also be hosting women-only Garage Parties™ which provides a non-intimidating environment for women to learn more about motorcycling.

Distributing We Ride, a comprehensive and inspirational brochure on what a new rider or a woman interested in riding needs to know about getting into the sport.

Share Your Spark™: A Guide to Mentoring is a tool kit the Motor Company developed for current and aspiring riders featuring information on how to be a resource and support system to others during their motorcycling journey.

"thousands of female riders will be hitting the open road to celebrate the first-ever Women Riders' Month"

Oh no what is happening...Are we boys safe!!!:p

Only kiddin' what a great idea:D

I have been responsible for teaching 4 women to ride. Unfortunately only 2 still do ride.

Not to hijack this thread, it seems to tie in...

May is traditionally Motorcycle Awareness month in most of the U.S.
Both the ABATE in Arkansas and FORR in visit the governers of the respective states and he signs a proclimation declaring may as Motorcycle Awareness Month. We also go to the mayors in the area to do the same at a local level.
Pamphlets are handed out reminding people that May stands for Motorcycle Awareness & You.

With the MoFoCo working to get more women on the road, (presumably on Harleys) in May this also will increase awareness.

I was an MSF range marshall in Minnesota... the women were generally better students than the men in the Basic RiderCourse.

I am so happy that Harley has adopted May as Women Rider's Month. I am the chapter director for the ladies organization of Women On Wheels(R) a National organization based in Lincoln, NE. Our Chapter is in Clinton, MO. We have a very great bunch of women who ride their own. Every make and model of bike is represented, including a scooter! We plan rides and go on rides with other groups. I've never met a more dedicated bunch of women! I count each one of them as my friend.

I was an MSF range marshall in Minnesota... the women were generally better students than the men in the Basic RiderCourse.
Ozark, that was my experience in the MSF basic course I took several years ago. First, understand that I don't mean to overgeneralize here--I've heard from lots of women who started riding on mini-bikes when they were kids just like a lot of boys did. But that's not the background of most women riders.

It seems to me that the women I know who've learned to ride as adults come to riding with a different attitude from how most men come to it. Again--not ALL men, just MOST of the men I know. Many men either started on those mini-bikes or dirt bikes or scooters as kids, and therefore when they get on a motorcycle, they figure they already know all they need to know about riding it. Most women, on the other hand, only come to motorcycle riding as adults and KNOW there's a lot they need to learn about it. That's why I think the women might be better students in MSF courses--they know they need that education before they jump on their own bikes.

Let me repeat--I'm talking about average men and women riders here--not EVERY man or woman rider. This is just what I've observed.

I am so happy that Harley has adopted May as Women Rider's Month. I am the chapter director for the ladies organization of Women On Wheels(R) a National organization based in Lincoln, NE. Our Chapter is in Clinton, MO. We have a very great bunch of women who ride their own. Every make and model of bike is represented, including a scooter! We plan rides and go on rides with other groups. I've never met a more dedicated bunch of women! I count each one of them as my friend.
Wish there was a group like that around here. Do they have an online presence where I could check for local chapters?

Yes, they do! Go to Women On Wheels® and when you get to that page you will see a few of the folks from our Chapter. I'm the short one, third from the right. Anyway.... select Directory and you can go to your state to see if there are any chapters close. My gals are so dedicated they come from 50-75 miles away to participate! We have so much fun....

Nothing surprises me with Harley. they are masters at marketing.
But it is good to recognize the Women riders. They too are a important Part of the sport of riding and enjoying the outdoors. :rolleyes:

John I taught my wife and 2 daughters to ride. All still are. I'm the only male in this house. Even the 2 furry people are female. So I'm going to be a BIG supporter of May as Women Riders Month.

For the women riders (actually interesting for all) there is a site for a woman named Skert. The is an Iron Butt rider, Breast Cancer awarenesss advocate, gives seminars on women riding and picking up downed bikes. A most interesting lady. Check out her site:

Pink Ribbon Rides

We have "Women in the Wind" ( breast cancer awareness ) My wife is a 23 year survivor. We go to all the meets even tho she is only a co rider. If I can get this new Trike test law passed she will get her trike license.

We have "Women in the Wind" ( breast cancer awareness ) My wife is a 23 year survivor. We go to all the meets even tho she is only a co rider. If I can get this new Trike test law passed she will get her trike license.
John, that post is just full of great stuff, the 23-year survival being the best, of course. But that would be so cool, too, if your wife could get her trike license. Further motivation for all the work you're doing on your state's trike licensing laws--as if you needed any further motivation, right?

Sent u a PM.. Yes she (HONEY ) is a great person with a really good attitude of life. My dream of course would be like many of you on this posting would be to have her own ride. The smaller bikes are now coming around I Looked at the Ridley trike ( automatic but ouch too much money for what you get. The Sportster that Ultra boy talked about looks good.

MotorTrike makes that cool little turnkey unit--it's a 750. I actually test rode one at Zook's shop. Very snappy little machine! Easy to drive and fun fun fun! Check it out:
Motor Trike 750 Scooter
Zook can tell you more about it.

But I went with the Honda VTX1300 because DH suggested that I look at something bigger, in case he ever wants to ride it.:rolleyes:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png