Tri Glide Rear Fender Bra?

Jan 14, 2012
Daytona Beach, Florida
Has anyone installed rear fender bra's and fastened them to the fenders any other way than to the taillight? I thought about installing a snap or snaps (like the snaps you use on tonnau covers used on pickup trucks) above the tail light to the fender so it would be a lot easier to remove them when washing the bike. I understand this would mean drilling holes into the fender, but does anyone have a better idea), thought about using velcro tape instead of drilling holes for snaps.
Thanks,
Ohio Eddie

Thanks VaThumper, I bought a used set off e-bay for $40.00 the're from Harley Davidson, just thinking on a different way to attach them that would ease taking them off, I think I'll try velcro tape first before drilling holes and using snaps, just wondering if anyone has tried this?
Ohio Eddie

Fender Bras remind me of when ever my old mam would buy a new car he would run right down to Rayco and get plastic seat covers. Hot in summer,Cold in winter, I guess he was saving the seats for the next owner.:censored:

rhino thats the way I feel about them also, but they will get grit under them and screw the fender up. The only thing that is worst is that clear crap you can put on them. Ohio Eddie if I were going to use them I would use the velcro first. Go by Lowe's and buy the industrial strength. Good luck.

Don't wait too long, it will crack and dirt will stick to the exposed sticky stuff. I have seen many motor coaches screwed up with that stuff. Cost a lot more to remove than to put it on. Your trike probably doesn't stay in the sun as much as a motor home so you may be fine.

I've had the 3M protectant on my fenders since '06 when the trike kit was added to my Fat Boy, and have put several thousand miles on it since then. The protectant is secure, smooth, shows no discoloration or drying and cracking. I would definitely go that same route again with another trike. I recommend it highly.

The 3M protectant film is definitely the way to go. I've had it on several cars I've owned. You have to look close to even see it. I've looked at almost all the fender bra's and don't like any of them.

I just bought 8' of 3M paint protector for $58. I made templates from thick paper to use for cutting the film. A lot cheaper then the $300+ Harley wants.

I had it on my 03 Ultra's saddlebag tops. Stayed crystal clear up till I sold it in 2010. I'm sure it's still going strong. I knew a few Corvette owners in my Vette club that had a front bra. Unless you keep it clean underneath you will rub the paint off from all the grit and dust that sneaks under the bra. The bra is not worth it and to me looks like crap. JMO

Forget the velcro. When it gets hot out it will unstick and come loose.

I know from experience. I will never use velcro again unless it's bolted or stiched on.

Even the 3M heavy duty double stick tape doesn't hold in real hot weather - again I know from experience.

Add me to the list for the 3M paint protector. ThumbUp

My 2005 Lexus has had the 3M film on since July of 2005 and it still looks like new. I did put the HD clear film on the 2011TG when I bought it and it is holding up fine other than some scuff marks on it. But as mentioned earlier once it gets all scuffed up I'll just replace it. As for the fender bra a couple of the TG owners around here have used it but are not wild about the way it installs. You have to remove the taillights and fasten in there. I would think if you just made it so the straps went around under the taillights and velcroed or snapped together that would work and would be easy to put on or take off. The other thing is if you have the chrome fender trim around the opening the clips on the bra will not work or else they have to be forced over the chrome trim and will damage it.

2011 TG, Merlot and Black, Lift Kit.

Started looking at fender bras and found this thread. Regarding suggestion for the 3m protective film, is there a specific name for that product? I "googled" looking for it and found little information that is particularly useful. Thanks!

Has anyone tried this stuff? 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film.

From Amazon...
Price: $24.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25.

Do-it-yourself invisible, seamless car paint protection applied as a spray-on liquid and dries to a continuous clear film
Completely removable and safe for clear coat
Protects any painted surface such as hoods, bumpers, fenders, mirrors, rocker panels, and more
Guards your car's paint against rocks, bugs, sand, scratches, dings, road debris and more to keep your vehicle looking newer, longer
Includes one can of 3M(TM)Paint Defender Spray Film 17.5 ounces, one 1-ounce packet of Wax and complete, easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions for application in approximately 30 minutes

Here's some video of it:

3M

From 3M:

3M Paint Defender Spray Film-Shop 3M

Do you do any long distance riding or just local? Any gravel or dirt roads - in the rain?

I know the guys in my Vette club that use to have bras on their Vettes took them off in less then a year.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png