Triking a Honda 1100 Shadow

Juju

Contributing Member
Aug 29, 2008
Pensacola, FL
The Chief (DH) and I are talking about triking his Honda 1100 Shadow, since I AM a triker wannabe. But before we get started, I thought I would get some input from the combined wisdom of this forum. I know an 1100 would be plenty big for me alone (I ride a Suzuki 800 bike now), but here's my main question: will an 1100 be powerful and comfortable enough for two of us, in case we ever want to travel on it together? (I mean major travel, like from Florida to Maine.) Our other possibility is to trike his HD Road King. I'm not sure I want something that big for my "everyday" bike, though.

Before we do anything, I'll certainly test ride a few trikes to get a feel for what I like and need, but it never hurts to get the benefit of someone else's experience. TIA for any advice.

Juju, as you know you can take a trip on most anything, bike or trike. But as far as long distance comfort I don't know if you'll get it from the 1100. They're great for cruising and short trips but I think after a trip like your describing, you'd be ready to get off of it for a while. The power is not a problem, I just don't think yo'll be able to get the "creature comforts" that will make longer trips bearable. Ask Bazooka about that conversion as he's done some and is familiar with the kits. Ride safe and hope to meet you guys in Dothan next weekend....:)

Juju, I agree with Trikerjim that it must be your choice, but that the 1100 would certainly be powerful enough. My husband definitely likes those creature comforts -- radio, fairing, gadgets, etc., while I definitely like to keep it simple. I have no desire for the radio and gadgets and am content with a backrest for long trips and a basic windshield. I have ridden many long trips (longest one 7,000 miles) on mine and am perfectly content with no desire to get it more plush, and it is sure nice for the local/around town trips too. Whatever you decide is good and comfortable for you will be great.

I agree with the other 2. One on one maybe ok. 2 up would not be fun for a trip of any distance. I would start looking on some of the other 4-sale boards and putting out feelers. There are a lot of good 1500 goldwings out there that are low milage and great shape. U just have to pick a price range and take a look at the budget.
Good luck.

1100 Shadow

Juju-
I know we are a dealer and therefore might be perceived as biased, but I`ll give you an honest opinion based on our experiences.

We`ve sold a slew of the MotorTrike Shadow Trikes both conversions and factory turnkeys. I think we were their number one Shadow trike dealer last year, at least that is what they told us. The Honda 1100s make more power than most people realize and have no problem pulling two-up as a trike. They are geared pretty high and the RPMs stay low when cruising. Just remember that the same characteristics that any model motorcycle possesses as a bike will be similar when converted to a trike, one example being the V-Twin motor of the Shadow will never be as smooth as the flat-six motor of the Gold Wing. You will experience some vibration in the handlebars at speed. Harley does a little better job of canceling the vibration at higher RPMs but it is still there.

We like the Shadows a lot but they do have limitations as far as comfort on long trips. If you want the best you will want a large tour bike like the Road King, Ultra or Gold Wing. As far as making a great trike and going the distance trouble-free, yes they will, as will any shaft-drive, water-cooled Honda. A good tour seat, tour box with backrest and handlebar risers help a lot. Will they ride like a Gold Wing? No, but you will have half or less invested in it and its still a great machine. PM me and I will tell you anything you need to know about them.

Last edited:
Aggghhhh--decisions, decisions! Life would be so much easier if there were only one kind of trike and you got that one or nothing--but then I'd be bee-otchin' about not having enough choices, I guess. :D

Thanks to all for the input. Like Nana, I'm a KISS kinda gal, so I'm not really looking to go the Gold Wing route, though I'm sure they're wonderful rides. I love the simplicity of the Shadow, but as I suspected, it sounds like the Road King would make the better touring bike.

Zook, didn't you say you'd be at Thunder Beach, coming up in a few weeks, at Frank Brown Park? The Chief and I will be there, so I'll drag him over so the three of us can talk this all over. It's way more complex than I had ever suspected!

My 2 cents worth

Been building Trikes since 1972.
If it fits you as a bike it will do fine as a trike.
We probably do more trikes out of the Honda and Yamaha 1100 than any other trike
Since we are a dealer and do not want to look as biased, that is all we have to say.
Kodiak

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png