Stalled at a traffic light...

Reaction score
Just back from my dealer with a question: If I stall at a traffic light ( my fault letting the clutch out too fast )

why can't I just pull in the clutch and hit the starter like every other Harley I've ever had? NOPE!

You gotta get into neutral before the trike will start. Apparently this is only on the Trikes (and Police bikes)

So is there any ( easy) way to bypass this "feature"?

I ride with a prosthetic and finding neutral can sometimes take a few tries , especially on a new trike.

Any suggestions?

Dante

Just back from my dealer with a question: If I stall at a traffic light ( my fault letting the clutch out too fast )

why can't I just pull in the clutch and hit the starter like every other Harley I've ever had? NOPE!

You gotta get into neutral before the trike will start. Apparently this is only on the Trikes (and Police bikes)

So is there any ( easy) way to bypass this "feature"?

I ride with a prosthetic and finding neutral can sometimes take a few tries , especially on a new trike.

Any suggestions?

Dante

Pull the clutch in and step on the brake and or handle brake , And hit the start button....At that point you don't have to be in neutral......

Pull the clutch in and step on the brake and or handle brake , And hit the start button....At that point you don't have to be in neutral......

It is a bitch when you are in the middle of an intersection and you have to stop dead to restart...And no it can't be disabled...:mad:...[I had to do a separate post cause i couldn't turn the red highlight off..]

Hey Thanks Rhino !

I can't wait to try this!...of course it's gonna rain for the next seven freakin' days!

Dante:clapping:

I can't wait to try this!...of course it's gonna rain for the next seven freakin' days!

Dante:clapping:

I Haven't stalled a bike in years.....And thats with over five different makes and models ....And then i bought a new 17 Tri-Glide.......I stalled that one too many times to admit to....The engagement was too abrupt.....Then i put on the Oberon adjustable clutch leaver...Never stalled it again.....:clapping:''''

Thanks again Rhino

I Haven't stalled a bike in years.....And thats with over five different makes and models ....And then i bought a new 17 Tri-Glide.......I stalled that one too many times to admit to....The engagement was too abrupt.....Then i put on the Oberon adjustable clutch leaver...Never stalled it again.....:clapping:''''

Just ordered the clutch lever! If it works well , I'll order the matching brake lever.

Dante

Rhino nailed it.

Page 94 of FLRT Owners Manual

Starting Engine In Gear

1. You must apply the front or rear brake to start the engine and to prevent movement of the motorcycle.

2. You must squeeze the clutch lever in against the hand grip.

3. Do not roll the throttle.

4. Press the engine start switch to start the engine.

Some of the HD trike riders in last summer's Three Wheeled Riders Course expressed the same concern about stalling in traffic......I explained that clutch in/brake on technique and they were completly surprised and pleased when it worked. The relief on their faces was thanks enough.:laugh:

This was my wifes biggest concern. While we were signing the paperwork for my 19 the finance guy at harley told her this. I immediately came home and tried it. The relief on her face was crazy. I knew she stressed over it. My 19 is harder to hit neutral than her 15. But I have Amsoil in her gear box.

Makes you wonder why Moco provides a owners manual.:confused:

Bragging rights for Mr Know it all:p

Seriously, IMO read your manual cover to cover, then read it again

Some stuff may sound like rhetoric, but it can shed some light so you have a better understanding of how your machine works;)

you might have to take in consideration that some that ask may have purchased the trike used and the manual some how disappeared. So they ask us the experts. WE all choose this site because we are here to help. SO IF YOU CAN HELP. We all thank you for helping when you can.

This was my wife. She bought a used 2015. No manual. I just bought a 19. And I'm perusing it after work.

One point on the users manual - non US markets get the touring bike manual with the FW, try looking up anything specific about the Freewheeler e.g. reverse gear etc, there is zero info.

If HD also removed the hundreds of repetitive caution warning re: causing damage and/or injury and/or death it would shrink the manual by 50% and make it user friendly.

I find google generally a far easier resource

you might have to take in consideration that some that ask may have purchased the trike used and the manual some how disappeared.

For those of you who don't have the Owners' Manual:

Go to http://www.harleydavidson.com

Up top, click on Owners, then in the second list from the left, click on Owners Manuals. Pick your language and country, then agree to the usual corporate BS and enter your VIN. You'll get a bunch of options from there... manuals, wiring diagrams, good stuff.

Reactions: MDO
Hi

If you hold in both the clutch and brake at the same time, when pressing the starter it will start no matter what the gear.

As you posted this months ago I’m guessing you now know this.

For those of you who don't have the Owners' Manual:

Go to http://www.harleydavidson.com

Up top, click on Owners, then in the second list from the left, click on Owners Manuals. Pick your language and country, then agree to the usual corporate BS and enter your VIN. You'll get a bunch of options from there... manuals, wiring diagrams, good stuff.

BINGO

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png