Road trip

cScjhb

2500+ Posts
May 6, 2020
Mesa, Arid-Zone-A
I have cancelled my annual 3-4 week road trips for the last 3 years. This year was also not going to happen due to fuel, motel, meal expense. I changed my mind. I will be 75 in a few weeks and decided I will not sit home another summer. It's time to just do it. This may be the last time I am physically capable of doing a 4-5,000 mile road trip. I have family up north that I have never met, and I want to meet them before I check out of this lifetime. So, I'm going to bite the financial bullet and go. Going to leave the desert S.W. on July 28th and head north. Will be riding solo but I've done that many times in the past. The trike is serviced and has new tires. As I write this, the trike sits with its big boy cover on but is anxious to go. The road is loudly calling me. Planning on doing about 4,000 miles and be back home towards the end of August. I am already mentally packing..... Jim

I have cancelled my annual 3-4 week road trips for the last 3 years. This year was also not going to happen due to fuel, motel, meal expense. I changed my mind. I will be 75 in a few weeks and decided I will not sit home another summer. It's time to just do it. This may be the last time I am physically capable of doing a 4-5,000 mile road trip. I have family up north that I have never met, and I want to meet them before I check out of this lifetime. So, I'm going to bite the financial bullet and go. Going to leave the desert S.W. on July 28th and head north. Will be riding solo but I've done that many time in the past. The trike is serviced and has new tires. As I wright this, the trike sits with its big boy cover on but is anxious to go. The road is loudly calling me. Planning on doing about 4,000 miles and be back home towards the end of August. I am already mentally packing..... Jim

We are all so happy for you - and we agree, it is just time to do it.

We've done a couple of 4000 miles trips. Our secret was - we took our time and stopped often. We also like to use cruise and stay right around the speed limit. Just let the cars and others pass you - this way you simply get to cruise along and rarely have to brake - which helps your mpg.

Enjoy - and please post a few pictures.

Ride safe Jim.. See you in Oct for the AZ gathering. Weather permitting we will ride Rt 66 most of the way to Prescott. Otherwise we will trailer out. Will call you when we get to Prescott.

Jim, enjoy your trip. Life has forever changed for all of us since Covid, Do not let fear ruin your plans

Live life, and be safe on your trip:clapping:

Headed North

Hey Jim,

If you're headed to the Upper Midwest on that adventure keep me informed. Meet n Greet if in the area! West to Black Hills or East to MN...anything within riding distance.

Bill

Have a safe and wonderful trip, no better way to meet family you don't know than by riding up on a trike wearing your colors with sunglasses and a dew rag!

Wish I could do that, all of my family knows me and wouldn't be surprised. :xzqxz:

Blast Furnace Hot

I hope you are planning a middle of the night escape from the Valley of the Extremely Hot Sun. I had to ride home about noon yesterday and it was 111+ most of the way home to Bagdad from Lake Pleasant. Took me about an hour to stop sweating once I got inside the house.

Kurt

Jim by ALL means GO FOR IT! My Wife and I (each on our own trikes) just returned from 2500 + mile trip to Soutb Dakota from Oregon and while quite costly we throughly ENJOYED it-first long trip in 3 years and worth EVERY PENNY!

Take your time and as we all say ENJOY the RIDE and our GREAT CIUNTRY!

Pete :)

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for checking in. I did 4,139 miles solo. Was on the road for 26 days but traveled for only 21 days. Met friends and family which was my motivation for going. Had a variety of weather from hot to cold, sun to thunderstorms. Traveling solo without a real agenda allowed me to adjust the trip to avoid most of the bad stuff. I did get rained in for an extra day in central Utah but otherwise the trip went smoothly. I had a very enjoyable time. Zero bike issues. I did get weary checking in and out of motels almost every day. Never a problem finding a place for the night, but a couple of times had to pay more than it was worth. I was tired and ready to be home with 800 miles left to go. Did the last part in short legs traveling in the mornings to avoid afternoon thunderstorms.

Next up is the Arizona Gathering in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it. I know it would be a bit of a jaunt for you from your new home. But, it would be a pleasant surprise if you could make it out here again this year.

Cheers,

Jim

Glad you had a safe trip Jim.. Looking forward to seeing you again in AZ. We are riding out from Ohio. Call you when we get in.

Will leave here on the 4th.

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for checking in. I did 4,139 miles solo. Was on the road for 26 days but traveled for only 21 days. Met friends and family which was my motivation for going. Had a variety of weather from hot to cold, sun to thunderstorms. Traveling solo without a real agenda allowed me to adjust the trip to avoid most of the bad stuff. I did get rained in for an extra day in central Utah but otherwise the trip went smoothly. I had a very enjoyable time. Zero bike issues. I did get weary checking in and out of motels almost every day. Never a problem finding a place for the night, but a couple of times had to pay more than it was worth. I was tired and ready to be home with 800 miles left to go. Did the last part in short legs traveling in the mornings to avoid afternoon thunderstorms.

Next up is the Arizona Gathering in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it. I know it would be a bit of a jaunt for you from your new home. But, it would be a pleasant surprise if you could make it out here again this year.

Cheers,

Jim

Glad it worked out for ya Jim!!!! Sounds like a great trip.

I understand the "ready to be home" feeling you had near the end of the trip.....

We are on the road probably 5 months out of the year, and I'm always glad to get refreshed at home.....

We've got October commitments this year in Virginia, Maryland, and Kentucky....

We'll be looking at the Arizona Gathering real hard for 2023 though....

Bill is about the same distance from AZ as I am, so it's kinda hard to make excuses......

:)

:)

Chuck

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png