Back to the shop not having a good run

hardwickbv

1500+ Posts
Mar 5, 2017
Mitchell, Indiana, USA
Got the TG back 11 days ago after being in the shop over 2 months from the deer accident.

Everything was working great.

Have managed to get almost 250 miles on it and road to work all week.

Coming home on a 2-lane state highway running 60 I start hearing a loud rattling sound coming from the engine.

Got pulled over into a driveway and shut it down.

Fired it back up and it sounds like something came loose in the top end. Called the shop and they showed up in about an hour.

When he started to load it, he said it sounded like a pushrod, rocker or lifter.

Waiting to ride again

This is getting old

Bob

Got the TG back 11 days ago after being in the shop over 2 months from the deer accident.

Coming home on a 2-lane state highway running 60 I start hearing a loud rattling sound coming from the engine.

Fired it back up and it sounds like something came loose in the top end. Called the shop and they showed up in about an hour.

When he started to load it, he said it sounded like a pushrod, rocker or lifter.

Waiting to ride again

This is getting old

Bob

When it rains it pours…Hopefully it’s just something lose and rattling from the accident..

Waiting to ride again

This is getting old

Bob

Keep us in the loop. Hopefully, the problem will be solved and you will be back in the saddle.

Got a call from the shop

Shop called this afternoon which surprised me because I figured it would be at least a week before they could get to it.

Said that the top end was starved for oil causing something to come loose, scored both cylinder walls.

Also said it had the old-style oil pump which may have caused sumping.

They are replacing the oil pump and the top end, should get it back in a couple weeks.

All covered by the extended warranty.

He did try to talk me into not using the oil filter relocation.

Told him that wasn't happening

Bob

Shop called this afternoon which surprised me because I figured it would be at least a week before they could get to it.

Said that the top end was starved for oil causing something to come loose, scored both cylinder walls.

Also said it had the old-style oil pump which may have caused sumping.

They are replacing the oil pump and the top end, should get it back in a couple weeks.

All covered by the extended warranty.

He did try to talk me into not using the oil filter relocation.

Told him that wasn't happening

Bob

Im surprised that they didn't try to blame it on that....?.

So I talked to the service rep today and they said they got into it farther and found more parts damaged, Cam and other stuff.

Said they had to raise it to a tier 2 when they called it in and got it approved.

He also said that if they sent someone out to look, they would deny the fix due to the oil filter relocation, and I should remove it.

Still giving me the story of 1 person having problems with it after installing one.

Not buying it!!! Sounds like scare tactics to me.

Bob

So I talked to the service rep today and they said they got into it farther and found more parts damaged, Cam and other stuff. Said they had to raise it to a tier 2 when they called it in and got it approved. He also said that if they sent someone out to look, they would deny the fix due to the oil filter relocation, and I should remove it. Still giving me the story of 1 person having problems with it after installing one. Not buying it!!! Sounds like scare tactics to me. Bob

Put it back on when they're done?

So I talked to the service rep today and they said they got into it farther and found more parts damaged, Cam and other stuff.

Said they had to raise it to a tier 2 when they called it in and got it approved.

He also said that if they sent someone out to look, they would deny the fix due to the oil filter relocation, and I should remove it.

Still giving me the story of 1 person having problems with it after installing one.

Bob

I agree about scare tactics, but for now to be safe I would remove it

I think the burden of proof would be on them to prove but again why take chances JMO and best of luck for you

Bob

How long has it been on there ?

How long has it been on there ?

I installed the relocation kit 3 months after I bought it new in 2017 and the Outlaw oil filter was put on 3 months later.

So, it has been on for 5 years and the better part of 78000 miles.

Also have installed an oil cooler sometime after that.

They are not removing it but have strongly suggested I should.

Seriously thinking about talking with Jim Palmer about a different solution.

Only have 1 1/2 years left on the HD plan.

Bob

I installed the relocation kit 3 months after I bought it new in 2017 and the Outlaw oil filter was put on 3 months later.

Bob

Harley warranty I would get it pulled off there NOW It wont take 30 minutes. Harley sees that its BY BY warranty . I had two cancelled

Harley warranty I would get it pulled off there NOW It wont take 30 minutes. Harley sees that its BY BY warranty . I had two cancelled

I agree. On m 2012 CVO Ultra only two months old I was running on the interstate after dark and hit a landscaping timber - a big one. Bent the front and rear wheel rims and damaged both tires. I was lucky I did not crash. It literally launched me into the air. Fortunately I had Harley's ESP with wheel and tire coverage but they came to inspect. Inspector asked if bike had a trailer hitch as if that would have any bearing on the incident. He was just looking for way to cancel coverage. Fortunately the service manager on his own volition had removed my Bushtec trailer hitch. Lucky me.

Bob

Do give Jim a call, he has many programs to choose from. A no nonsense vet that rides

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png