Very little rear brakes

Nov 13, 2022
Metchen NJ USA
My rear brakes seem to work only on slight inclines and there is no stopping power any other time.

I had it in the shop and had him clean the cylinders, replaced the fluid and bleed the front and back lines, and still no rear brakes

He said there was no interconnect with the front brakes, could that be the problem??? He said he could jury rig a line to fix the problem and said that the Brake pads have a lot of pad left on them.

It was another thread about the interconnect but he never came back and answered what RS told him whether yes or no

I have a 2001 GL 1800 with a 2008 RS conversion

Is there another fix or is there a brake adjustment that I can do ????

Thanks

My rear brakes seem to work only on slight inclines and there is no stopping power any other time.

I had it in the shop and had him clean the cylinders, replaced the fluid and bleed the front and back lines, and still no rear brakes

He said there was no interconnect with the front brakes, could that be the problem??? He said he could jury rig a line to fix the problem and said that the Brake pads have a lot of pad left on them.

It was another thread about the interconnect but he never came back and answered what RS told him whether yes or no

I have a 2001 GL 1800 with a 2008 RS conversion

Is there another fix or is there a brake adjustment that I can do ????

Thanks

I'd give Roadsmith a call (they are very helpful on the phone to customer's with questions)

1(800) 332-8830

ask for Jim or Mark

Ronnie

2/17/23

I have provided a link to the Roadsmith installation manual for the GL1800 https://roadsmithtrikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/HTS-01-10-v10-COMPLETE.pdf Something may have been overlooked during the installation. #35 explains the brakes.

Thanks Trike Lady for the PDF. I have that one and it kind of tells you that they did disconnect, removed parts and cap off the brakes.

From the manual....

35a. Remove the other steel brake line from the hose fitting letting the rubber hose (connected to the bike) drain. This hose will no longer be used.

Cap the anti-dive cylinder using the stock banjo bolt and sealing washers and the provided banjo fitting spacer block on the THE SECONDARY MASTER CYLINDER

37. REMOVE THE SECONDARY MASTER CYLINDER with upper rubber brake hose from the left front fork.

37b. To remove the other end of the rubber line: follow the line from the top of the secondary master cylinder to the junction block bolted to the left side of the steering neck, disconnect the steel line from the block, then unbolt the block from the steering neck.

NOTE: This brake line is no longer used- the other end is the one you disconnected and let drain earlier.

37d. Remove secondary master cylinder bolts, (save one upper bolt) remove and discard cylinder and hose.

37e. After the secondary master cylinder and upper hose have been removed, cap the line fitting previously connected to the middle of the secondary master cylinder using stock banjo bolt, sealing washers and provided cap.

Called Roadsmith and asked for Mark but he haven't gotten back with an answer yet.

Just got off the phone with roadsmith. He said they didn't start putting Residual check valve into the Honda RS Trikes until somewhere around 2012-2013.

So anything below that didn't have any, but you can buy a kit to connect your front and rear brakes together, it's about $27 and some change plus shipping - total $40.25.

So I ordered one today, get it in probably 7 to 10 days.

He says the reason why I might not have rear brakes is that I may need the master cylinder replace. I am hoping not.

Next thing, getting it to the shop 87 miles away.

Thank you for the help and I appreciate it. :clapping: And hoping to be riding soon.

Just got off the phone with roadsmith. He said they didn't start putting Residual check valve into the Honda RS Trikes until somewhere around 2012-2013.

So anything below that didn't have any, but you can buy a kit to connect your front and rear brakes together, it's about $27 and some change plus shipping - total $40.25.

So I ordered one today, get it in probably 7 to 10 days.

He says the reason why I might not have rear brakes is that I may need the master cylinder replace. I am hoping not.

Next thing, getting it to the shop 87 miles away.

Thank you for the help and I appreciate it. :clapping: And hoping to be riding soon.

You said in your first post the mechanic cleaned the cylinders, what does that mean ?

You also said they bled the brakes, that did not help, how did they explain that?

You said in your first post the mechanic cleaned the cylinders, what does that mean ?

You also said they bled the brakes, that did not help, how did they explain that?

Maybe I should have said the mechanic cleaned out the Reservoir it had a lot of gunk in it.

He told me that the front brakes in the rear brakes wasn't connected and that he could jerry rig a hose to connect them. I ordered a kit from RS last week, That will tie the front and rear brake together. So it should be coming in beginning of next week hopefully. Also have him checked the rear brake cylinder.

soft brake

Maybe I should have said the mechanic cleaned out the Reservoir it had a lot of gunk in it.

He told me that the front brakes in the rear brakes wasn't connected and that he could jerry rig a hose to connect them. I ordered a kit from RS last week, That will tie the front and rear brake together. So it should be coming in beginning of next week hopefully. Also have him checked the rear brake cylinder.

This is an interesting thread, I'm experiencing the exact same thing with my Valkyrie Roadsmith trike and rear brake pad always felt soft.

I recently had the master brake cylinder replaced, brake system bled and cleaned, but the pedal is still too soft.

1) Are you saying the front and rear brakes are supposed to be connected, but aren't meaning the installer didn't do it?

2) You talked to Roadsmith and they said the kit they are sending will resolve this?, which would be great.

Would be nice if this was the fix, but now reading below, may not fix it, mine was installed in 2018 and I assume would have the residual check valve.

He said they didn't start putting Residual check valve into the Honda RS Trikes until somewhere around 2012-2013.

Thanks

Frank

Are you still have'n a problem Frank??

I was hope'n to hear that "Brad did indeed find your problem, and had replaced that M/brake cylinder.................

Give me a call/ and lunch soon ................I hope!

Ronnie

5/7/23

Brake Issue

Are you still have'n a problem Frank??

I was hope'n to hear that "Brad did indeed find your problem, and had replaced that M/brake cylinder.................

Give me a call/ and lunch soon ................I hope!

Ronnie

5/7/23

Hi Ronnie, yes the brake issue you knew about has been fixed perfectly by Brad.

The brake pedal is not a big issue, I have good brakes, they feel soft, going a little low when I use the pedal, looking at this forum, seems like it's a common question/issue.

Will call Roadsmith this week

Frank

Looking forward too hearing what your situation is with your brakes................ Hope Brad, does his "thing" and all is well......

I can feel another lunch date, is due..... hopefully soon!

Always good "hang'n with you............... You're a good man sir! :clap:

Ronnie

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png