Paint for Dash

Jul 26, 2010
lancaster, ohio usa
Does anyone know what kind of paint I can use to paint my dash on my 2003 Goldwing? The key fob has rubbed some of the finish off. There is a crack above the key trim also that will need fixed.

The best thing to get is called Sem Color Coat, flexible coating. It is a dye not a paint. Paint lays on top and later will come off. This is a dye which soaks in. I restored my 73 El Camino and the new seats was black and the black was on the gray side and I use this to re-dye them. You can't tell that anything was done with them. This is a great product, it come in a spray can. When you put it on don't just lay on a heavy coat, very fine coats works the best. Hope this helps

I have been paint cars for over 40 years and that is the best product out there. I was amazed how well it worked on my new seat for my ElCamino.

You indicate that its the cats meow on seats and such. But those are porous materials that would accept a die/ stain well. But how well does it work on things like plastic such as the dash / of the GoldWing or metal items.

SEM no workie on metal! But on plastic, it bonds IN the plastic. Kinda melts in the surface. Believe me, if you could smell this stuff, you'd know this stuff is hot (volitile) enough to penetrate plastic!!! The trick to this stuff is prepping with the reccomended cleaner/solvent, a bit of scuffing with a ScotchBrite pad, and a dust free surface. jimsjinx

There are some plastic that it may not work on. I put on a Herbalwell Life container and it layed on top where I could scratch it off. Then I put on a key bob and I couldn't scratch it off. Certain plastic even super glue will not stick too. I think that the plastic on the Goldwind it will stick to.

I am looking to re-do my meter panel / dash as it has gotten pretty beat up over the years. Either paint by someone who does auto paint, this SEM stuff or send the dash out to have a custom place do something with it...Still totally undecided.
Suspect that as super glue does stick to the GL dash that this SEm stuff might too.

When you say it got beat up pretty bad, do you mean that the color is wore off or does it have cracks in it. If the color is just wore off then you can get some Sem and redo it your self. Just get some good wax and greese remover and clean it really good and then lightly scuff it with some scotch brite.

If you need more information you can e-mail me at gjanes@suddenlink.net.

No cracks or anything like that. Just paint worn off and scuff marks from keys etc.
I had chrome trim around the meters but the glar off or that chrome stuff is blinding.

Somewhere on one of the postings ( dont recall where or when) there had been reference to a place that did really great paint work on panel & etc. Not airbrush but more simular to carbon fiber. I had visited that site and now cant remember what it was... Old age i guess.

If you're still on the fence with that cover, you could send it to me, and I'll spray it for ya. You buy the SEM, and pay shipping. I totally trust this stuff! jimsjinx

Jimsjinx.

Thanks for the offer. It is certainly appreciated.

Once the holidays are over i am going to drill the necessary holes for the alarm etc and do the painting myself..Should that end up being a complete disaster i might take you up on your offer......Good thing about this being a spare panel is that i dont have to deadline the ride while i sort this out. * weather today is high 70's with tonights low in the 60's and here we are December***

That sounds like it is the same as Sem's. You can buy one can and try it on something that doesn't count. The Sem will soak into the leather and vinyl and you can't tell that anything has been done with it. So if the Dupi Color does the same thing than I would go with that.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png