07 Wing W/Hannigan kit reverse issue

Apr 8, 2021
Fort Myers Fl.
New to me, but apparently not new to Goldwing owners....Reverse....clunk clunk ....but only when it feels like it.....

My 07 wing with 35k on the clock peridiocally does not like reverse....sometimes its smooth s silk.....sometimes does not seem to engage.....

1. examined the reverse shift mechanism.....appears to be very clean....

2. checked the adjustment of the shift linkage adjustment.... found the elusive gap that will appear..."quote from the ESM", mine is a few 32's of an "...

3. talked with mother honda here in FM....basically was told that a gap is a gap....no specific amount... then suggested that since it was a trike to talk to the local Trike guys....

4. had a nice chat with the local trike shop (very highly reccomended)..suggested that sometimes the addition of the trike kit will cause the reverse system not to function as it should (sometimes).

5. I discussed my system that seems to work for me.....stand of the bike... engage R, gently rock the bike back and forth....then press the startd'reverse button....

So does any one have any suggestions.....I like the reverse.... have had many wings... 1100, 1200, 1500 (with reverse), and finally a 1800....love them all....

don't want to get to point where the rear cover has to come off (remove engine from frame}......:(.....

to pre answer all the standard ??

2007 GL-1800 with 35k on the clock

Hannigan Trike kite not sure when

have the FSM

have been working on mechanical stuff for close to 70 years.

engineer by training

cables are adjusted according to the FSM, nuetral cable when not in R has very little play, when in R have a small gap between lost motion plate and shift arm....

Shift arm, springs, lost motion plate all appear to be in excellent condition.

hopefully this will preclude the questions that are normally asked....any advice on how to handle the situation will be greatly appreciated.

My 2008 GL 1800 reverse started doing this also. At the same time the CB transmission started getting a lot of static. After a lot of internet-searching several articles pointed to the battery. I decided to change the battery although it was starting and performing well. Battery was about 4 years old. Put in a new battery and that fixed both problems… hope yours is that simple.

One more thought on that battery… make sure the terminal connections are tight… when they vibrate a tad loose this can cause problems such as yours.. actually happened to a fellow GL1800 rider last week while we were on a ride.. I have seen it suggested several times to put star washers on those connections so that they will not vibrate loose.

Me Too

My 2007 wasn't triked but had the same symptoms. It started just fine but reverse wouldn't work and cruise was intermittent. Turned out to be my battery also. the battery wouldn't indicate a full charge on the Battery Tender. I bought a new one, put it on the Battery Tender to insure a full charge, and everything started working like it was supposed to.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png