2008 883 Low - Trike / or not to trike

Ok, my GF has an 2008 883L which is basically new, only 2000 miles. She was hurt in an accident and is now thinking of triking the bike. The bike engine has a tuner, exhaust and a heavy breather.

My GF is smaller, ~125lbs and 5'3"

Would the 883 be suitable to ride on long trips over mountains etc?

I have been searching the net and can not find other sportster trikers to comment. Any help appreciated for us to make a good decision.

Bob

Before I found my V-Rod, I was thinking of getting a Suzuki C-50 with an 800 .0cc engine, I found the smaller engine lacked the power to push the heavy trike. I think the 883 would have the same issue, real problems going over any mountain ranges. Others may have better firs pt hand knowledge, good luck.

"Would the 883 be suitable to ride on long trips over mountains etc?"

I have a friend whos son had an 883 Sportster and I did have the chance to ride it. All I can say is I sure wouldn't want to make any long trips on one.
In my opinion the 883 would be pushing it a bit adding the weight of the trike kit to it. But there are people who do make trips on them.
Some one suggested converting the 883 to a 1200.
Something to consider,
The cost or value of the bike plus the cost of a trike kit, possibly the cost of labor to install the trike kit, and possibly the cost of upgrading the 883 to a 1200.
You might want to do some checking. It may be better to trade or sell the 883 and buy an already done trike rather than to invest the money into converting it.
Dan

I converted my wife's 2005 883L using a Frankenstein kit and she loves it!! For the type of riding she does (all back roads), she has no issues with the power. Mind you she does not do 80 with it, but for the type of riding she does, it is perfect. I've ridden it many times and had no issue with the power, the only negative I have with it is I didn't find it comfortable for a long ride, then again, I was riding an Ultra Classic to compare it against!!

my wife rides a sportster 1200 trike with the CSC kit on it. we vacation in Pa. during the summer in the steepest mountains Pa. has to offer. even with her bigger engine she has to downshift into 4 th gear quite often as some of the hills are really steep and long. i cannot speak of the 883cc engine but i would think if she did not mind shifting a little more than the big bikes she would be just fine. i also think if she went with the much lighter kits like the frankenstein or champion kits she would enjoy the bike and it would do a great job even in the mountains.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png