2024 Tri Glide front axle nut torque spec

dthorn

40+ Posts
Aug 26, 2020
thornell
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone knows what the torque spec is for a 2024 Tri Glide front axle nut. Also what the pinch nuts torque spec. On my 2017 the axle nut spec was 70-75 and the pinch nuts were 18-22.

My 2017 tri glide did not ABS. The 2024 does have ABS. I wondered if these spec’s were different because of the ABS.

I have 350 miles on bike and it feels like the front end is starting to “bounce” for a better term. At first no issues but more miles more and worst it is getting.

One of the times I had a new front tire put on my 2017, by my dealer I had this problem. I checked the front nut spec and needed to turn the nut 1 and 1/2 turns to bring it up to spec. Test ride and it was smooth as silk. I already checked rear nuts after 100 miles and they needed to be tightened. Concerned they didn’t tightened front properly.

When I took delivery and drove home, literally 5 miles, I pulled into garage, noticed a bug smear on left side mid-frame air deflector. I wiped it off and heard clunk, clunk, clunk. Looked under bike and saw a bolt under it. Turned out it was one of the bolts that holds the air deflector on. There was only 7 miles on the bike !

Thanks for any help

David.

Can't help you with torque specs, I have a 2018, but in your case I would take it back to dealer and say check this bike out, if a defector bolt came out I would be taking it back and having them go thru it, sounds like they didn't do a very good inspection on your new bike and looking for tighening things up, your bike, do what you want with it, here's another reason I will keep my 2018, it has served me well so far and no harley mechanic has touch it yet, I try to do everything my self, service etc etc.

Lets us know what you decide

All for now Trampas

I called 3 different local dealers to confirm the torque spec. All three service advisors were too lazy to go and look it up. All three were real jerks about it. They want me to spend 300 plus dollars and buy two different service manuals to find out one torque spec. I have bought 3 tri glides in last 7 years. 2 new, the first one used. All from dealers. I am done with the Harley money grubbing jerks.

I am going to look into canceling my Harley extended warranty and look for aftermarket extended warranty. I done giving my money to them. Enough is enough. I made an appointment for next week to look at it under factory warranty. I might have been able to solve the problem myself 10 minutes.

I called 3 different local dealers to confirm the torque spec. All three service advisors were too lazy to go and look it up. They want me to spend 300 plus dollars and buy two different service manuals to find out one torque spec. I bought 3 tri glides in last 7 years I am done with Harley money grabbing jerks.

There will not be a 4th. When this one wears out I will get a spider. Same crappy service but at least it will be at 30 to 40 percent up front cheaper in cost. Sorry about rant. I sure this will make the hard core Harley fans made at me.

My 2020 Tri glide, been the same specs at least since 2014

Torque Specs

Axle Nut 70-75 ft-lbs

Pinch Bolt 18-22 ft-lbs

David,

The torque specs have not changed. Use the torque specs that nucseal posted above and you'll be good to go.

Thanks Papa Zook for the confirmation. That’s I all I wanted from the dealers. I didn’t think it was a big deal but the dealers sure don’t want to help you out. I will check out the torque spec tomorrow and let everyone know if that is the problem or if I have to keep next weeks appointment

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone knows what the torque spec is for a 2024 Tri Glide front axle nut. Also what the pinch nuts torque spec. On my 2017 the axle nut spec was 70-75 and the pinch nuts were 18-22.

My 2017 tri glide did not ABS. The 2024 does have ABS. I wondered if these spec’s were different because of the ABS.

I have 350 miles on bike and it feels like the front end is starting to “bounce” for a better term. At first no issues but more miles more and worst it is getting.

One of the times I had a new front tire put on my 2017, by my dealer I had this problem. I checked the front nut spec and needed to turn the nut 1 and 1/2 turns to bring it up to spec. Test ride and it was smooth as silk. I already checked rear nuts after 100 miles and they needed to be tightened. Concerned they didn’t tightened front properly.

When I took delivery and drove home, literally 5 miles, I pulled into garage, noticed a bug smear on left side mid-frame air deflector. I wiped it off and heard clunk, clunk, clunk. Looked under bike and saw a bolt under it. Turned out it was one of the bolts that holds the air deflector on. There was only 7 miles on the bike !

Thanks for any help

David.

I would also check out the steering neck bearings and make sure they are tightened to specs..If they are loose you will get the bouncing effect….

Well I was able to check the axle nut torque spec and the pinch nut spec and both were correct. So I will be taking to the dealer next Tuesday and getting it look at under warranty. I will report back after I find out what the dealer finds.

I can think of a lot of good reasons for a dealer service dept to not give out tech information, it is not because they are lazy.

Here`s a hypothetical scenario:

Owner calls the dealer service dept and asks for the torque for the front axle nut (but the owner really needs the torque for the pinch nuts), owner wrings off the pinch nut...

Now the service dept has a pissed off owner calling and complaining it is the service dept`s fault (and it is, because they shouldn`t have given the torque spec in the first place).

Although...If they don`t give out the spec, they will have a customer jumping onto a forum and whining about how dealers suck (they can`t win).

If a person is installing critical components on a machine of any type, a proper service manual is needed.

I concur with doing any service, a service manual is a must. I've been riding and working on big twin Harleys for 50 years, I don't believe I can ever recall using a torque wrench on an axle nut. I'm not saying you shouldn't I'm just saying I don't.

Update

Well I finally got the front vibration issue resolved. Unfortunately it required it required a long battle with the dealership and me having to call Harley to get it fixed.

I won’t go into detail as there are some people who get upset if you criticize a dealer and I don’t want that again.

I want to thank all who took the time to respond. I wish everyone a safe and fun filled riding season !!

Update

Well I finally got the front vibration issue resolved. Unfortunately it required it required a long battle with the dealership and me having to call Harley to get it fixed.

I won’t go into detail as there are some people who get upset if you criticize a dealer and I don’t want that again.

I want to thank all who took the time to respond. I wish everyone a safe and fun filled riding season !!
Can you please advise what the repair under took to resolve the issue. The readers might need to know what to look at if the issue arises in their trike.

Thank you

Gorilla senior moderator

Update

So, what was the issue that was finally fixed??

Update

So what was the problem ? Who gives a shit what they think ? That's your opinion & that's all that matters !

Well ended up being a combination of two problems. 1st, one of the motor mounts was not tightened to spec. 2nd, the right rear wheel was not properly balanced.

These two things combined felt to me that the front end was vibrating.

Working as an Automotive engineer for over 40 years, I have learned that a rattle, vibration and squeak can be heard or felt one place but be caused from some totally different area.

After the dealer determined that nothing was wrong in the front end they just gave back to me and in nice way told me it must be in my mind.

After a couple of fruitless conversations with the dealership. I called Harley customer service. I explained my work background and gave them several examples of my similar experiences in the automotive realm. ( By the way I did the same with the dealership) Harley agreed to get the dealership to go thru the bike.

That’s when the issues I mentioned above were found and fixed. The bike is now running as it should

I feel that this was combination of poor quality control from Harley, then made worst by a lack of caring by the dealership service department.

Again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to read and respond. I wish everyone a safe and fun riding season.

Well ended up being a combination of two problems. 1st, one of the motor mounts was not tightened to spec. 2nd, the right rear wheel was not properly balanced.
These two things combined felt to me that the front end was vibrating.
Working as an Automotive engineer for over 40 years, I have learned that a rattle, vibration and squeak can be heard or felt one place but be caused from some totally different area.
After the dealer determined that nothing was wrong in the front end they just gave back to me and in nice way told me it must be in my mind.
After a couple of fruitless conversations with the dealership. I called Harley customer service. I explained my work background and gave them several examples of my similar experiences in the automotive realm. ( By the way I did the same with the dealership) Harley agreed to get the dealership to go thru the bike.
That’s when the issues I mentioned above were found and fixed. The bike is now running as it should
I feel that this was combination of poor quality control from Harley, then made worst by a lack of caring by the dealership service department.
Again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to read and respond. I wish everyone a safe and fun riding season.
Thanks for the update..👍..
Glad you got it straightened out👍👍..

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2011Case
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png