Another vibration

May 23, 2013
Mackinaw Il usa
I have a shake or vibration that shakes my windshield and lower wings it seems to be worse on some roads. Do you think a cupped tire would do this or a drive shaft? It doesn't stop when I pull the clutch in and the tire doesn't seen to be cupped?

Is it worst under acceleration or deceleration ??? Both, tires and drive shaft need inspected. Tire and wheels irregularities and balance, and the drive shaft for u-joint and splined-shaft wear. Don't forget, the rear car tires on a trike should be balanced every 5k just like a car. If they are non-directional, have them rotated from side to side.

Is it worst under acceleration or deceleration ??? Both, tires and drive shaft need inspected. Tire and wheels irregularities and balance, and the drive shaft for u-joint and splined-shaft wear. Don't forget, the rear car tires on a trike should be balanced every 5k just like a car. If they are non-directional, have them rotated from side to side.

I don't rotate my trike's rear tires because they are each doing the same thing. Rotating them serves no purpose. On a car they are rotated from a steering axle to stationary and vice-versa. That makes sense as front and rear tires wear differently.

I don't rotate my trike's rear tires because they are each doing the same thing. Rotating them serves no purpose. On a car they are rotated from a steering axle to stationary and vice-versa. That makes sense as front and rear tires wear differently.

You are correct, fronts usually wear the fastest. More specifically, usually on a car or Lt truck, the right front will show wear the most. Tires on the rear are similar with the right one wearing wearing quicker. Rights wear fastest because they ride in a rougher track, and are more likely to loose traction when accelerating and/or braking, and on u-turns they travel farther. As the rears wear, it can usually be seen just by looking at them, however, a tread depth gauge is better. Tires wear faster on the front because of the weight they carry, they steer, and do the majority of the braking.

Have your tires tested for out of round or any flat spots. I had two brand new tires on my trike that had small flat spots from sitting on a rack. My windshield and mirrors would start shaking violently after I reached 65 mph. I didn't notice it at first because I never went over about 55. After 65, it would continue to get worse until I was afraid that things were going to come apart. It took all of 5 minutes to check and the new set completely solved the problem. Now it rides smooth as butter.....

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png