Avon Trike Cobra Chrome - Negative Experience

hydraglide

150+ Posts
Dec 5, 2021
Woodridge,Il USA
Well, I gave an Avon Cobra Chrome Trike front tire on my Tri Glide and ended up replacing it after 75 miles with a Dunlop American Elite, and I couldn’t swap em’ out quick enough!

The Cobra Chrome’s pedigree caught my eye, and what wasn’t there to like? Deep rain groove depth (easily twice as deep as a Dunlop),trike designed sidewall, etc.

Well… anything over 40mph and I experienced the dreaded “high frequency buzz” others have mentioned before. 40 up to 70 was miserable. It seemed to be less after 70, but ANY buzz was just unacceptable. While the buzz in the bars was noticeable and annoying, I can’t imagine the electronics appreciated it either.

Proper balance, proper inflation (40 psi per Avon), just plain awful.

Felt like you were riding on a rain grooved roadway and felt every groove.

How can a tire continue to be the sold with such performance?

I rode back to my local independent shop and put on another Dunlop American Elite (the last one gave me over 16k and I still was at 4/10… had to replace the tire because I’m headed out on a 4.5k trip in a few weeks).

Just wanted to get the word out… while the Cobra Chrome's might be hard to find, consider that a blessing!

Last edited:
Well, I gave an Avon Cobra Chrome Trike front tire a try and ended up replacing it after 75 miles with a Dunlop American Elite, and I couldn’t swap em’ out quick enough!

The Cobra Chrome’s pedigree caught my eye, and what wasn’t there to like? Deep rain groove depth (easily twice as deep as a Dunlop),trike designed sidewall, etc.

Well… anything over 40mph and I experienced the dreaded “high frequency buzz” others have mentioned before. 40 up to 70 was miserable. It seemed to be less after 70, but ANY buzz was just unacceptable. While the buzz in the bars was noticeable and annoying, I can’t imagine the electronics appreciated it either.

Proper balance, proper inflation (40 psi per Avon), just plain awful.

Felt like you were riding on a rain grooved roadway and felt every groove.

How can a tire continue to be the sold with such performance?

I rode back to my local independent shop and put on another Dunlop American Elite (the last one gave me over 16k and I still was at 4/10… had to replace the tire because I’m headed out on a 4.5k trip in a few weeks).

Just wanted to get the word out… while the Cobra Chrome's might be hard to find, consider that a blessing!
This has not been my experience with this tire. Still, it might be because my tire is an 18 whereas yours might be a16 for your TriGlide.

I had good luck with my Avon Cobra. It was time for a new tire and based on the hit and miss issues people have posted about I went to the Darkside. That’s a rear tire mounted in reverse rotation on the front. It’s doing great.

This has not been my experience with this tire. Still, it might be because my tire is an 18 whereas yours might be a16 for your TriGlide.ver
I have just good performance from the avon trike tire.. i have another on my 20 for over 10k forget how many miles i got on the first one. never had the buzz.one tire was on the 16 TG 2nd is on the 20 TG

The OP isn't getting any "word out". One experience with one tire isn't the basis to condem the brand. It could be a number of things...bad lot number, deformed, age, how that tire was shipped and stored and the monkey that balanced and mounted it. With my No Mar tire machine I've mounted all the major brands and found one was no worse than the other so what it came down to was riding conditions/ application. Although not mentioned but it's bound to come up-Note -I'm not an advocate of using a car tire on a 2 or 3 wheeler. I'm not that broke and don't live on the edge of the Kalahari. Besides tire companies spend millions developing motorcycle tires. Maybe they know something. But I've pretty much settled on the American Elite as they perform well For Me, and are readily available.

I had a Avon trike tire on my 17 and I couldn't get it off soon enough. Terrible buzz, I took it back and had the balance checked and it was good. So I found a 19 front Street Glide rim and installed it and it's been glass smooth.

I had an Avon trike tire on my 17 and I couldn't get it off soon enough. Terrible buzz, I took it back and had the balance checked and it was good. So I found a 19 front Street Glide rim and installed it and it's been glass smooth.
Same tire, different rim, better results? Crazy! How or why the difference I wonder?

Harley voodoo magic at its best…

Same tire, different rim, better results? Crazy! How or why the difference I wonder?

Harley voodoo magic at its best…
19” Rim. Sounds like he’s saying NEW tire, different rim, better results.
So far, I haven’t heard anything negative about the 19” cobra chrome. I have no complaints with mine on my Freewheeler.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png