Bottom tins?

I run it all on mine including the thermostat. Better throttle response and fuel mileage. You could go to awesomepowdercoat.com check it out he has pics of most of the stuff you'll need. But I'm not sure they're absolutely needed. They provide better cooling coverage.

The bottom tin below the push rod tubes are not a necessary tin. The main ones are the cylinder tins, of course, and the "deflector" tins. The deflector tins are very very important to have installed. These are the little tin plates above the push rod tubes that snap onto the cylinder studs between the two cylinders on each side.

Never ever run without the deflector tins.

Deflector tins, cylinder tins, and fan shroud are the necessary cooling for the VW engine. If you had your engine enclosed, which you don't, then I would suggest other tins to ensure proper cooling.

Like stinger said.
You can get away without the lower "sleds" in an open body.
You could get some industial motor sleds for use without heater box exhaust*
The better you can controll the engine temperature the better it will run overall. Consistent engine temperature in its proper range is where a good tune and good gas mileage will be. If that is what you are looking for I suggest all the thermostat and flaps and intake ring and sleds.

Mine is a hot rod run about. My temperature is all over the place. Regulated only by mph.

My grandfather had a corvair,don't remember the year not sure I ever knew, later looking body style than yours. Had about 45000 on it, back to chevy twice for all new gaskets and seals. Still leaked and oil fumes would come in the car, you always had a window open. Car was mint otherwise. He died no one in the family would take it including me. Some cars earned theyre bad reputation. Nader killed them and I don't know anyone who grleved about it.

My first car was a 60, 66, 69 Corvair. Dad bought three cars is a salvage yard. One had a good body, one a good engine and the third had a good transmission. He told me when I made a good running and good looking car ... I could have it. Took me all summer but I learned lots about wrenching.

Mine has everything but the bottom tins. It's an open body, so airflow isn't an issue at most speeds. In fact, it probably runs too cold as it sits. I have a 72 row remote oil cooler with a 10" fan controlled by a 180 degree temp sensor. The fan rarely ever runs, unless it's very hot out and I'm running the guts out of it or riding in city traffic for long periods of time.

Hope this was worth something... ~

God speed and ride safe! God bless our service men and women, our Vets and this great nation!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png