broken torsion rod!

If you are talking about the sway bar it happened to someone at the Maggie Valley meet and greet last year.It was taken to a dealer but I don't know exactly what was involved in the repair.If I remember the mounts broke loose from the frame so I would think a decent welder could repair fairly easily.

broken sway bar

ive talked to a champion trike dealer and he told me he has never seen or heard of the torsion/sway bar breaking, but he could get the parts and repair it! I will try to take it to him on Saturday! ive also talked to a certified welder about repairs if the dealer suggests that will be the best method of repair! thanks for responding Marc I am still a little lost with this breakage!

If your problem is the same as what I think his was with looking at it at a rest stop the bar itself is fine. First the bar has to be able to move up and down with the suspension. To allow this the bar attached to the frame by 2 basically u shaped clamps with a rubber bushing. This is the same style used on cars and trucks if you want to peek at one to get a better idea of the layout.What I saw was the plates that the clamps bolt to had broke at the frame and his bar was laying on his exhaust.I don't know if anything was found to have caused it to break.

The rider that had the bar break was member harold j. Another member trailered the trike to Ashville, but the Honda dealer there wouldn't touch it. They finally found a Champion installer in ?? Greenville, SC, I think.

You might try sending a private message to harold j and get his remembrances on it.

I don't know what reason but it ended up being repaired at Complete Cycle in Georgia where he bought the trike.I think it was covered under warranty or they cut him a deal on the repair.

That's what I was remembering.A flat plate welded to the frame and the strap/clamps whatever they want to call them that held the bar were bolted to the plate.I thought the plates were broke when I was under there.If it just ran out in January maybe they will have mercy and at least help you out.

broken sway/torsion bar

my trike is repaired! Champion chose not to help out with the cost, but what we found out was this has happened before. mostly with champion trikes that doesn't have grease fittings on the sway bar! when champion was contacted they said that the sway/torsion bar had fozen in the cylinder and when the wheels flexed the bar broke the welds off! Champion knows this is a problem but chooses not to do any thing about it, if you have a trike without the grease fittings the shop that repaired mine installed grease fittings on mine! it would be worth your time to check!

my trike is repaired! Champion chose not to help out with the cost, but what we found out was this has happened before. mostly with champion trikes that doesn't have grease fittings on the sway bar! when champion was contacted they said that the sway/torsion bar had fozen in the cylinder and when the wheels flexed the bar broke the welds off! Champion knows this is a problem but chooses not to do any thing about it, if you have a trike without the grease fittings the shop that repaired mine installed grease fittings on mine! it would be worth your time to check!

I know this is a old thread, but could you possibly post or send me a photo of the grease fittings that was added to your anti-sway bar, so I can see the locations?

I have a new bar assembly ordered now and woukd like to do this mod before I install it.

Thanks

He hasn't posted since May of 2017.I would imagine the fittings are in the bushings/clamps that hold the sway bar to the frame.The dealer your getting the sway bar from should be able to tell you about it or provide the updated parts.Maybe your sway bar will come with them.

Thanks for the input. I knew it was a crap shoot getting an answer with this post being so old.

I am actually getting the new anti-sway bar assembly directly from Champion. And they have addressed the lack of lubrication in the new ones by adding grease fittings. I noticed the previous owner must of had a similar problem because it was not on the bike when I purchased it.

When you get it post what you get and any pics you want to share of the process.That way if someone like yourself does a search trying to find info they will have the answer.I was only under Harold's for 5 min in rest area with no jack so I couldn't move around enough to see good enough to really be of help to people.

When you get it post what you get and any pics you want to share of the process.That way if someone like yourself does a search trying to find info they will have the answer.I was only under Harold's for 5 min in rest area with no jack so I couldn't move around enough to see good enough to really be of help to people.

I sure will. I already have the install directions and it looks simple. 4 bolts fasten it to the frame, and a rod end with one bolt going into each arm.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roadrunner1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png