Buell trike from Finland

Hi !

I'm new here, proud owner of a custom '96 Buell S1 Lightning trike. As I understand it, the bike was converted into a trike in ~2006 with a DNA Specialty axle and some custom fab work.

I bought it last summer, completely overlooking everything that was wrong with it at the time because, well, trike + Buell + orange, how could I say no?! I rode it for about 300km / 200 miles then, until the engine gave up. Parked it for a few months, and finally had it rebuilt in January. I got a new used engine from a XB12R, had the frame powdercoated black, all bearings, bushings, electrical wiring, oil system, etc, completely redone.

And of course, because I'm in Finland, I have a set of winter tires for it too. I have ridden over 1000km on wet roads, snow and ice, since I picked it up in February, 300km between today and yesterday alone :D there are still a few things to iron out, the fuel light comes on randomly at times, the bike shuts off sometimes for no reason (suspecting air in the fuel pump / lines), and today I just found out that the front wheel bounces like crazy under hard braking.

Anyway, it's a fun ride, it turns head and it's unique. I believe it's 1 of 1 in Finland, possibly in Europe and there doesn't seem to be that many Buell trikes around anyway.

First pic is from last summer, the winter pic is fresh from the shop. I'll keep the rear fenders off, they don't do anything anyway and I like the "naked" look better.

IMG_20220610_123910.jpgin the snow.jpeg

Hi !

I'm new here, proud owner of a custom '96 Buell S1 Lightning trike. As I understand it, the bike was converted into a trike in ~2006 with a DNA Specialty axle and some custom fab work.

I bought it last summer, completely overlooking everything that was wrong with it at the time because, well, trike + Buell + orange, how could I say no?! I rode it for about 300km / 200 miles then, until the engine gave up. Parked it for a few months, and finally had it rebuilt in January. I got a new used engine from a XB12R, had the frame powdercoated black, all bearings, bushings, electrical wiring, oil system, etc, completely redone.

And of course, because I'm in Finland, I have a set of winter tires for it too. I have ridden over 1000km on wet roads, snow and ice, since I picked it up in February, 300km between today and yesterday alone :D there are still a few things to iron out, the fuel light comes on randomly at times, the bike shuts off sometimes for no reason (suspecting air in the fuel pump / lines), and today I just found out that the front wheel bounces like crazy under hard braking.

Anyway, it's a fun ride, it turns head and it's unique. I believe it's 1 of 1 in Finland, possibly in Europe and there doesn't seem to be that many Buell trikes around anyway.

First pic is from last summer, the winter pic is fresh from the shop. I'll keep the rear fenders off, they don't do anything anyway and I like the "naked" look better.

View attachment 112704View attachment 112705

Patrick, Welcome to Trike Talkđź‘Ťđź‘Ť..

That is a bad ass looking trike! Love the color. It looks like it's going fast just sitting there. How does it handle, other than the braking issue? Oh, and welcome to Trike Talk. :wave4:

Hello Patrick, welcome to the forums from Florida. Totally cool looking machine !!!

That is a bad ass looking trike! Love the color. It looks like it's going fast just sitting there. How does it handle, other than the braking issue? Oh, and welcome to Trike Talk. :wave4:

Thank you everyone for the welcome :)

Since I have zero prior experience, I'd say that it handles "fine" for me. I'm still getting comfortable with fast corners and learning how it reacts. From what I understand the S1 has short wheelbase to begin with, and a steep front end, not the best combo for a trike. The front end hasn't been "raked" at all, so steering is definitely on the stiff side. More than enough power / torque to get moving in a hurry and pass, no problem there.

Last summer when I first got it, the rear diff was just about seized solid so it handled more like a kart with a solid axle, it made the corners interesting! Luckily this has been fixed now.

Most trikes are obviously geared more towards touring / cruising, I'd say this one is more of a sports trike, if there is such a thing. More compact, stiffer, "sharper" (I am assuming anyway, compared to a big HD or Goldwing). It tops out at ~140km/h though, which is more than enough for me at the moment, especially without any fairing or windshield.

Hi !

I just found out that the front wheel bounces like crazy under hard braking.

cool trike seems to the nature of the beast

pay close attention see if the front might be a little shake rather than bounce, if so a set of raked trees will help that a lot..might even go away completely

good luck

cool trike seems to the nature of the beast

pay close attention see if the front might be a little shake rather than bounce, if so a set of raked trees will help that a lot..might even go away completely

good luck

It was a pretty pronounced bounce under braking. Turned out to be an easy solution apparently, I checked the front tire pressure, it was down to 20 psi! Pumped it up to ~35, did a few more hard breaking tests, no more bouncing. Sometimes it's just the most obvious thing!

It was a pretty pronounced bounce under braking. Turned out to be an easy solution,. Sometimes it's just the most obvious thing!

AKA …. The theory of Parsimony.. Try the easiest solution first.. before you go tearing into other thing’s…ThumbUp..